eRDP or eRDPml... what's the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rafi Acosta

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to know what the difference is between the eRDP and the eRDPml, don't they both calculate multi-level dives?

nope. The eRDP is just a calculator version of the RDP (blue&white) table. Maximum depth single and repetitive dives, and minimum surface intervals. The eRDPml replaces the wheel. It does the above as well as calculates for multi-level.

Multi-level dives are hard to calculate with a standard RDP hence the invention of the Wheel. But once the eRDP started to replace the standard RDP tables, it was a simple matter to include multi-level diving.

If you are going to buy a calculator, get the eRDPml because sooner or later you may want the feature. In any event, you can select the multi-level mode and choose the use the calculator strictly as an eRDP.

Richard

The "erpl" (eRDPml) also does its calculations in 5 foot increments (like the Wheel) instead of the 10 foot increments of the RDP/eRDP.

Now WHY PADI didn't include regular calculator functions in the eRDPml so that simple calculations could be made.....

furthermore, with respect to PADI courses, the eRDP and Wheel are now obsolete, and candidates may be trainined using the RDP table, eRDPML or (since this quarter's update) dive computer.

Cheers

C

ERDP= JOKE, sorry folks but laughing out loud at any of you who have brought it. With a wheel I can do any thing in seconds, and I can take the damn thing IN THE WATER for on the fly recalculations.....I have had mine for 7 years. My ERDP lasted 2 months ( Brought it because it was a requirement for my IDC.) Never used it, it just cracked in half in the bottom of my bag. In fact they show the wheel hanging at a safety stop on the hang tank in the A.O.W. video, try that with your ERDP ! Yes I have ranted to PADI about this MIRACLE piece of marketing garbage.

I learned today that the eRDP, which is yellow, is being replaced by the eRDPml, which is blue, by PADI. I was also informed that PADI is coming out with a new Nitrox manual and other manuals. So, I should wait to purchase any of the training manuals until December. Is this accurate?

One thing the eRDP doesn't provide is RNT. Now, I realize that it gives you the next adjusted NDL but RNT is kind of a mental check on how much nitrogen you are carrying for a given depth. I always thought it was kind of important back when I used tables.

Richard

I was also informed that PADI is coming out with a new Nitrox manual and other manuals. So, I should wait to purchase any of the training manuals until December. Is this accurate?

It may be accurate, but I highly doubt that the mad scientists in the DSAT cave have come up with any new, revolutionary physics regarding Nitrox diving since the last edition of their nitrox manual. It may have newer pictures and additional references to your local PADI 5 Star Facility, but the meat of it (I'm assuming) will be the same.

No reason to wait.

ERDP= JOKE, sorry folks but laughing out loud at any of you who have brought it. With a wheel I can do any thing in seconds, and I can take the damn thing IN THE WATER for on the fly recalculations.....I have had mine for 7 years. My ERDP lasted 2 months ( Brought it because it was a requirement for my IDC.) Never used it, it just cracked in half in the bottom of my bag. In fact they show the wheel hanging at a safety stop on the hang tank in the A.O.W. video, try that with your ERDP ! Yes I have ranted to PADI about this MIRACLE piece of marketing garbage.

Please tell us your real thoughts and be sure to disparage your fellow divers more often.

Give the guy a break, this was posted in the New to Diving forum, not the Advanced Diving forum. I'm sure you have always been an expert and were never a beginner with questions.

Most people will never have the opportunity in their lifetime to dive 2500-5000 dives so how about trying to be helpful rather than laughing in the face of your fellow new divers who come here asking questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom