eRDP or eRDPml... what's the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well said Centexbear.

I personally don't especially like the eRDPs (particularly that super annoying beepy noise they make) - but they are an easy to use, viable alternative to dive computers for people who can't afford dive computers. Imperfect, sure - but people in glass houses and all that...!

The OP asked for advice, not to be told what he's investing in is rubbish just because somebody has a personal opinion on the subject.

PADI are changing a lot over the next few years. I suspect the new manuals will reflect some of the changes in the new style IDC, and of course they will have more gloss and (hopefully) new photos. Preferably without the luminous pink and yellow flashed wetsuits...!

Cheers,

C.

Whats the difference between an ERDP/ERDPml and a dive computer?

Is a EDRP just a dive computer used for planning that you can't take underwater and a dive computer excutes the plan you're EDRP spits out for you?

Brian

The EDRP and ERDPml are dive planning calculators, essentially the dive tables in a calculator format, and they cannot be taken into the water. They are planning devices only; the ERDPml has the ability to plan multi-level dives where the EDRP (now obsolete I believe) does not.

Dive computers can also plan dives, but they go with you and keep track of the actual dive - depths and time being a couple of obvious critical parameters. The dive computer updates calculations about your No Decompression Limit based on your actual dive. The more sophisticated dive computers are air-integrated, so they also track your actual air consumption during your dive. Dive computers use one of several algorithms to model nitrogen absorption under pressure (when diving under water) and without getting into any debate on which algorithm is the "right" one (there are many threads on that topic), all dive computers seek to give you accurate, real-time calculations of your nitrogen absoption limit so you can avoid over-saturation and decompression sickness (the bends).

Important to know and understand what the tables mean; but for the vast majority of divers, with the cost of dive computers being what they are today (I paid $179 for my "Atmos" wrist backup computer a couple of years ago) - to me - this is essensial safety equipment - for the resort diver that dives a week a year - almost every op has computers for rent.

No matter how meticulus you plan and calculate using tables, wheels, et al - nothing takes the place of a computer giving you instant info - and you can be as conservative (or liberal, I guess) as you wish using one. :no:

No reason for every diver not to use one, although Scubaboard being Scubaboard, I'm sure someone will come up with one. :shakehead: :rofl3:

Hi Centexbear...you are right, my bad for posting that in this forum...I was in the instructors forum and had opened this link. However my post has gotten two thanks. My intent was not to disparage anybody, but the idea of the erdp and the erdp ml. I much prefer the wheel, I think it gives the student a better intuitive feel for what they actually trying to understand rather then just punching numbers into a calculator.
My experience with the erdp, was not directed at the poster but at the product that Padi is producing. I do not like it, but now I have to teach it and I MUST sell it.
My sincere apologies to any person I may have offended. I have tried to edit the origional post but am not able to do so for some reason.
Me=:dork2:

Last edited:
what about figuring out a surface interval when planning a couple or three dives, do dive computers relate how long of a surface interval to wait when doing multiple dives in a day?

I just started the PADI DM program. the kit I got had the eRDP(ML).

I got mine out this weekend during an OW classroom session. By the time this thing goes through it's power on self test you could take your slate and have gotten the numbers you need. Even the students could use their slates faster then this thing could display a result. One student who had the older eRDP (retaking due to lapse in time from pool to OW sessions) prefered to use the slate.

I'll be helping out a 10-12 yo class this week, so that will be interesting to observe.

Also this weekend, I borrowed the instructors wheel and found it more intuitive than the eRDP. I'm going to shop around for a wheel for myself.

while on the subject, one of the students in the class found an app for the iPhone. It does more and it's quicker than the eRDP(ML) and for about 1/5 the cost.

Hi Centexbear...you are right, my bad for posting that in this forum...I was in the instructors forum and had opened this link. However my post has gotten two thanks. My intent was not to disparage anybody, but the idea of the erdp and the erdp ml. I much prefer the wheel, I think it gives the student a better intuitive feel for what they actually trying to understand rather then just punching numbers into a calculator.
My experience with the erdp, was not directed at the poster but at the product that Padi is producing. I do not like it, but now I have to teach it and I MUST sell it.
My sincere apologies to any person I may have offended. I have tried to edit the origional post but am not able to do so for some reason.
Me=:dork2:

Where did you get the idea that you MUST teach & sell the eRDP/eRDPml? Current Standards indicate that you as an INSTRUCTOR must be familiar with & be able to teach ALL methods, but:

"Student divers must have a current version of these required materials:
• PADI Open Water Diver Manual* or Multimedia
• RDP – Wheel, table or eRDP including associated Instructions for Use booklets
"

So you may teach your students whichever version you prefer.

Personally, I also prefer the "flat tables" and The Wheel as they are pretty much indestructible & can be used u/w if need be. IMHO they also give a better representation of what the RDP/dive planning is all about. But, errors can & do occur when people forget to add in the Residual N2. Calculating minimal surface interval between planned dives can also be a bit of a challenge for some, but nothing that cannot be overcome with patience & practice.

JMHO, of course. :wink:

I would like to know what the difference is between the eRDP and the eRDPml

The colour. Thats pretty much it. They both go beep and die if immersed in water.

Oh and the ML does multilevel stuff wherea the old one doesnt (assuming 0 surface interval on it as a hack produces different answers at times due to rounding).

what about figuring out a surface interval when planning a couple or three dives, do dive computers relate how long of a surface interval to wait when doing multiple dives in a day?

Most decent ones can do it in some form or another with the planning mode yes.

Most computers have a planning function, and they'll tell you what your NDL will be for the next dive be after you select surface interval and depth.

An alternative to dive computer/eRDP/tables/wheel is a PDA, iPhone or laptop with the appropriate software. It's obviously not cost effective if you have to buy the device, but if you happen to already have one, iScubaPlan for instance is based on the PADI RDP, only $8 and much much better than both the wheel and eRDP for surface use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom