ESPN unspeakable show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivetheRock:
I'm going to throw some fuel on this fire. Read the headliner at:http://news.nationalgeographic.com . I'm not going to debate this issue with anyone, as I don't feel it is in need of any further argument...the article speaks for itself. The human race is often pathetic. 'Nough said!

Why is this headliner article proof that "the human race is often pathetic" ?

Nobel Peace Prize Goes to Micro-Loan Pioneers

Also... why do you get to decide that "the human race is often pathetic" ? Who nominated you as our spokesperson? I tend to just speak for myself and those that I directly observe.

There's a little gasoline for you. :wink:

Lance

Lancelot:
Why is this headliner article proof that "the human race is often pathetic" ?

Nobel Peace Prize Goes to Micro-Loan Pioneers

Also... why do you get to decide that "the human race is often pathetic" ? Who nominated you as our spokesperson? I tend to just speak for myself and those that I directly observe.

There's a little gasoline for you. :wink:

Lance

I think this is the link that was intended
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/10/061012-shark-fin.html

Thank-you, frank delargy. The shark one was the headliner when I made that post. National Geographic was quick to update.
Lancelot, I stated that the human race is often pathetic because it's accurate considering the information as it's presented in this article - key word "often". I never claimed to be a spokesperson for anyboby; I'm merely commenting on a specific observation. So, I guess you could say I was speaking for myself, and those whom I observed. ;-)

DivetheRock:
BTW, frank delargy, very nice pics. I especially like the Sea Urchin. What camera are you using?
Thanks.
Canon S1IS (3 Megapixel) with Canon housing and SeaLife strobe .. all low end stuff. I have an irresistible urge to buy something better.
BTW .. My 2 kids have been vegans for the last 7 years, so discussions of animal welfare is something I'm very used to. I'm sure they ARE card carrying PETA members.
It's clear that the diving community crosses the complete spectrum of politics, religion, affiliation and opinion.
It's just like the real world, common interests don't mean similar attitudes.
ciao

DivetheRock:
Thank-you, frank delargy. The shark one was the headliner when I made that post. National Geographic was quick to update.
Lancelot, I stated that the human race is often pathetic because it's accurate considering the information as it's presented in this article - key word "often". I never claimed to be a spokesperson for anyboby; I'm merely commenting on a specific observation. So, I guess you could say I was speaking for myself, and those whom I observed. ;-)

OK I get it... NG updates their lead articles very often. The shark fin article makes more sense. I see now.

But I would still suggest that you refrain from making the sweeping statements about humanity as a whole even if you use the word "often". You and I are the good guys. (as are many others on this board - maybe all on this board) Excedingly few people are as bad as this trigger happy, dolphin plugging A-Hole of a captain. It is much better to make a clear Us vs. Them identification. We are the good guys. They are the bad guys. The entirety of the human race is in no way tainted by the A-Holes of the world. Remember that WE are definitely better than THEM.

Lance

We can only consider ourselves truly better than them if we actively do something to right the wrongs taking place on this planet every day. Just because we don't take part in such horrible practices does nothing to stop the evil that is perpetrated against our wildlife and our environment. What's that quote, something like; All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Or;
Evil unchecked grows, evil tolerated poisons the whole system.
  • Jawaharlal Nehru

I agree, Brandnew2Scuba, with everything you just said.
And, Lancelot, don't be in any way offended by what I said. I wasn't refering to you personally (I'm sure you're a great person) just to our species in general. And I know you didn't want me to do that, but read over what Brandnew2Scuba's last post said...it makes great sense.
Still buddies? :)

Quite a noticeable silence from those who were denying the problem of shark fishing..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom