ESPN unspeakable show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I a bad person because I enjoy watching these show than?

Is ESPN an international chanel where there r more than one nation with different cultural background watching it? or is it a channel dedicated only for a certain nation to watch? If it were meant for an international viewers, maybe there r certain culture of a nation(s) might say that watching a shark being tortured is fine. There r people in the world that find eating meat or uncooked fish is something not very desirable. I personally don't like to c fishes or any animal being tortured.

sunkarm:
Is ESPN an international chanel where there r more than one nation with different cultural background watching it? or is it a channel dedicated only for a certain nation to watch? If it were meant for an international viewers, maybe there r certain culture of a nation(s) might say that watching a shark being tortured is fine. There r people in the world that find eating meat or uncooked fish is something not very desirable. I personally don't like to c fishes or any animal being tortured.

Then those people who don't like to see it can change the channel and those who want to see it can watch it.It really is that simple.

I don't think ESPN is shown in other nations.It is a sports cable channel in AMERICA.

drbill:
Personally, I think there is a very substantial difference between killing for sport (= "pleasure"), since the fishers apparently didn't eat the sharks, and killing for food. This is in addition to the abuse of the shark that appears to have been part of the "sport."

I say this as a former hunter and spearo who has no problem with people killing animals for food. I just don't see how some can engage in it as a "sport."

But if one choses to spear hunt... Then aren't you just a person trying to feed yourself WHIST enjoying the sport aspect of said spear hunting? I am sure you could buy some very fine tuna for $7.99 per pound at the local meat market rather than going spear fishing. I also think the $7.99 per pound may even be a little less expensive then what it costs you for a boat, air fills, spear fishing equipment and rigging, your personal time (whatever you think it is worth from a monetary standpoint), and whatever other costs associated with spearhunting I am leaving out. (Never done it myself) Isn't spearfishing done by middle class Americans for the sporting aspects of it all?

Lance

Let me start by saying I'm an avid fisherman and I am also concerned over fishstock numbers, but I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the commercial over-fishing seen worldwide.

That being said....I love this show. I prefer the tag and release method used in mad fin shark tournament that ESPN also airs. Versus' East vs. West Shark Hunters is good also.

I see absolutely no issue with their fishing methods. As Wildcard has been saying all along their methods are very sporting and as safe for the fishermen as possible.

Archman: Surely you must account for areas and species with your bombshell of recreational fishing making a substantial dent on totals. Presented with the numbers of areas and species and raw tonnage of fish caught could yield a more credible portrait of the levels of recreational fishing's impact.

The impact of recreational fisheries has been known and reported in the news for years now... it's been firmly acknowledged by all fisheries scientists for at least a decade, when my own ichthyological training began. I think I even had a thread on this a year or two ago on scubaboard... somewhere.

Two year old news article.
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2004/2004-08-27-10.asp

And here's the formal rebuttal from the President of the American Sportfishing Association to that Science article, and the counter-rebuttal from the fisheries scientists themselves.
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/307/5715/1560c

Arlinghaus and Cook (2005) believe that the impact of recreational fisheries in freshwater systems is significantly underrerported.
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/307/5715/1561

Here's a cutesy article which refers to recreational fishing intensity off Australia. Since I haven't seen this article before, I'll post it here. You have to scroll down to the recreational fishing section.
http://www.vnv.org.au/Articles/Fish.htm#Recreational fishing

EastEndDiver:
Then those people who don't like to see it can change the channel and those who want to see it can watch it.It really is that simple.

I don't think ESPN is shown in other nations.It is a sports cable channel in AMERICA.

I watch espn all the time in Belize. And I used to watch it in the Philippines too. (back to the OT)

Lancelot: I spear fish and try to get about 25 lbs per trip when I go out. This pays for gas. So while I'm out having fun, I'm not spending any net money.

I hate how ignorant people seem to be able to justify almost any act of cruelty by comparing it to other situations.

Hank49:
Lancelot: I spear fish and try to get about 25 lbs per trip when I go out. This pays for gas. So while I'm out having fun, I'm not spending any net money.

You know the numbers do seem to support feeding ones self now that I have thought about it further. 25 lbs of good quality fish could cost up to a couple hunderd bucks in the meat market. But I will not believe one single person who tells me that the sport and adventure of spearfishing has nothing to do with their desire to make it happen.

Why are we underwater SCUBA diving in the first place? - Doesn't the sport, thrill, and adventure of it all motivate us?... Doesn't it fire up that explorer inside all of us?

Why would one hunt fish with a spear gun? - Isn't there some sport, thrill, and adventure involved? Hmmmmmmmmm?... I know I would be geeked as all get out if I were spear fishing. :eyebrow:

Lance

Back
Top Bottom