ESPN unspeakable show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it moves, it's a living thinking thing. Whether it thinks at your level has no relevance to letting it live its own life. Anything is an amazing creature, more beautiful than anything man could ever create.

It's simple. We don't NEED to kill the shark. If you're living on some little coral island somewhere in a grass hut on stilts with nothing but an old T-shirt and ragged pair of shorts, then you need to kill a shark to live. Otherwise, every single one of you has access to the food producing machine of the world.

Jump in the open ocean with a loincloth and a knife and I'll give you a little respect, though it's still unnecessary.

What are you guys looking at when you're diving? The rocks?

No need to respond as I know you can't teach an old dog anything except more pig headedness.

Shasta_man:
What are you guys looking at when you're diving? The rocks?
Not that this has any indication of where I stand on the original topic, but since you asked, yes. I dive in the midwest. We have quarries and lakes. I can honestly say I have never gone diving to watch the pretty bluegills, catfish and bass. Strange as it sounds, quarries are just teeming with rocks.

Joe

Just think of the horrors that a lobster goes through ,being dumped in boiling water while still alive. So if you eat lobster please don't post about cruelty to other creatures.

EastEndDiver:
Just think of the horrors that a lobster goes through ,being dumped in boiling water while still alive. So if you eat lobster please don't post about cruelty to other creatures.

I rescued a lobster from an Asian market a few years back. Of course, I had a fully refrigerated salt water tank in which to display this fella. Hoards of school children got to know "Jaws" and as a result, a lot of kids pressured their parents to think twice about eating American lobster. Jaws loved to arrange rocks, stack things and always waved hello to folks visiting the tank...of course this was a conditioned response. :D

Well, despite the thread title, the show in question is most obviously not "unspeakable" :wink:

Dot Wethington:
It would be more entertaining for these shark fishermen to throw each other over the side of the boats with a fun noodle and some chum and see if they can outswim the sharks, now that's entertainment!!!!!
Then go see Jackass 2

Unfortunately since we have so efficiently killed off the apex preditors on land if the deer were not hunted they would overpopulate and develop dieseses and die form starvation, this has been shown time and time again in areas where the folks banned hunting outright. A controlled harvest of the deer, as practiced by many states, keeps the herd at a reasonable number. In fact in many states there are more deer now than when it was "pristine forest" since a full canopy forest destroys deer habitat and grazing.

However, it has also been shown that if you kill off the apex preditor in the oceans (i.e. sharks) that then the sick and disesed fish are not pruned from the schools and you end up with fewer, less healthy fish. Want to kill off an eco system? Kill off the apex preditors.

Mike

Where they banned deer hunting, they got fewer deer?

Did killing off the apex predators result in fewer, more sickly deer?

Well this thread was started in April 2004 and the ICCAT International ban on shark finning came in November 2004. Does anyone know if the treaty has had any effect?

whalerkyle:
If all you guys feel so strongly about this subject, don't write to ESPN. You need to focus on changing the laws. What these shark fishermen did was completely legal.
I love Mako Shark hunting, and I do kill 2-3 Makos every summer by speargun. I also love trolling for Threshers, and avoiding the tail snag.
There is no size limit in California for Mako or Thresher Shark, but there is a limit of 2 per person, per day, and I for one think there needs to be a size limit. I won't take anything less than 6 feet.

I thought the show was cool.

Kyle

Could you post a few pictures of these 6 foot Mako sharks that you have taken with a speargun.I would like to see them.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom