essential scuba related nonfiction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I’m concerned that they don’t return the originals. What if there’s some sort of hiccup in the process?

k
At that price my bet is that they cut the pages out of whatever binding they're in so they can feed them through a duplex sheet feeding scanner (Destructive scanning), hence the "no return of the originals" policy. Non-destructive scanning is far more expensive. Here's the least expensive place I've found for the non-destructive method. I have no idea what quality you'd get in the end product (they're using an overhead scanner).
Rick

At that price my bet is that they cut the pages out of whatever binding they're in so they can feed them through a duplex sheet feeding scanner (Destructive scanning), hence the "no return of the originals" policy. Non-destructive scanning is far more expensive. Here's the least expensive place I've found for the non-destructive method. I have no idea what quality you'd get in the end product (they're using an overhead scanner).
Rick
For some items I'd be interested in a middle ground. Destructive, but return the disassembled book for recovery from instances of mis-scanned pages.

My copy of Easy Diver is a first edition. I bought and read Easy Diver and Human Performance after I had been certified for a few years.

I haven't seen anyone mention the NOAA diving manual. It has much of the same information as the US Navy Manual, but has a heavier emphasis on scientific diving and it's associated procedures.

'Neutral Buoyancy' by Tim Ecott is a really good non-fiction book about scuba diving, although it's about the history of diving and not a technical manual, but it does detail relevant (basic) physics, chemistry and physiology.

He explores the history of scuba diving from early pioneering technologies in the 15th Century, through to British covert Ops in WW2, Hans and Lotte popular 60's underwater wildlife tv shows etc. interspersed with personal accounts of his own diving experiences, travels, insights and amusing annecdotes. It's an easy read and likely to be of interest to divers and non-divers alike. I'd highly recommend it.

Sam,

More info:

1DollarScan.com ? Scan your books to PDF! | Review Lagoon

1dollarscan.com ? The Magazine Followup Review | Review Lagoon

Apparently it's $1 per 100 pages, with other options to spend more money.

I’m concerned that they don’t return the originals. What if there’s some sort of hiccup in the process?

k

I've been told that they can return the originals if they are not a book with an ISBN (for legal reasons).

That being said, there is an option you can select when placing your order for them to hold onto the books/docs for a couple weeks in case you wish for a rescan.

Hope that helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom