Ethical Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have an ethical question, regarding a purchase of a GoPro.

I love to support my LDS, though they have not got their shipment of Black GoPros . The LDs is even throwing in some extras if I buy a GoPro from them.

The problem is I leave for Belize tomorrow at 6am. I already purchased a Cyan filter for the Hero3 and a 32GB Class MicroSD card (got the card from the Big box store).

Would it be wrong to buy the GoPro camera from a big box store, which currently has it in stock. Then buy one from my LDS when it gets in stock and return the one I got from the LDS (unopened) to the big box store?

-Hostage

if this was an order and the order did not arrive, then you are free to do what you want with not attachments or repercussions from the said store.

Now granted if they have offered to loan you one of theres for the trip until the one you ordered or wanted came in, well that is a different story.

I personally would go buy what you need from someone who has it in stock and you have it for your trip.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you owned a retail store would you be "OK" with a customer doing that to you? I wouldn't.

If your LDS can't supply you with what you need in this case why are you having second thoughts about purchasing from nother store,it's your vacation .

So I have an ethical question, regarding a purchase of a GoPro.

I love to support my LDS, though they have not got their shipment of Black GoPros . The LDs is even throwing in some extras if I buy a GoPro from them.

The problem is I leave for Belize tomorrow at 6am. I already purchased a Cyan filter for the Hero3 and a 32GB Class MicroSD card (got the card from the Big box store).

Would it be wrong to buy the GoPro camera from a big box store, which currently has it in stock. Then buy one from my LDS when it gets in stock and return the one I got from the LDS (unopened) to the big box store?

-Hostage

Just be straight with everybody.

Tell the LDS you needed it for your trip and since the trip is "now", you don't need it anymore. You have no obligation to wait an indeterminate amount of time. Tell them you will not accept it if it does come in later, and if they try to charge you, contact your credit card company.

Then go buy it wherever you want.

I buys stuff at my LDS all the time, but if I need it and they can't get it in a reasonable amount of time, I buy it somewhere else. It's never been a problem.

flots.

Well, whenever you return a new product, someone takes a hit, most likely either the merchant or GoPro. Whether "buying with no intention of keeping" is abuse of a generous return policy is a pretty broad philosophical debate (this behavior, and the conversion rate of those who are too lazy to return or change their minds and keep the purchase are certainly built into the model, but is availing yourself of it right?).

FWIW, I'm in the same boat. Ordered my 3BE from my LDS at full price to support them, due to arrive after Nov 30, even though I could have gotten it in my hands already at a big discount ($350 shipped via local group buy). I made the choice and I'm living with the delay, though I'll readily admit I'm not morally above going to Best Buy and getting one as a test mule. I'm just too lazy to deal with the return.

Yes I would have no issues with it. The item he ordered or was waiting on did not show up in time for his trip as it was suppose to. He ordered the item to take his trip. The shops need to take some accountability here for not delivering the product.

If I was the retailer, I would offer him my personal camera/rental from the store for his trip so he would be able to record the memories, thereby retaining that customer. I said customer decided to go out and buy his own, I would understand as

Guys, he's not asking whether he should cancel his order with the LDS and buy it from the big box store instead. He's asking if he should buy one from the big box store now, use it, and when the LDS delivers the one he originally ordered, return that one unopened to the big box store for a refund.

I say cancel you lds order.. Like was said it is your vacation, you want something for it, they cannot deliver...so be it. It does not make much sense to me that Best Buy has them, but your lds does not.. and incidentally. It wont work returning another item in its place.. They will know... That is why everything has bar codes dude

I was in a similar position before a dive vacation. My LDS said they unfortunately couldn't get the order in on time and actually gave me the names of several other suppliers who might have stock. So I say just get it from the other store and tell your LDS why. It's business, they can't make every sale and they should appreciate your general loyalty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom