Ethics of shooting a "diver"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another reason why the dive operations in Hawaii are horrible... BTW, which one was it?

BigJetDriver:
We have NO shortage of real men and cats with guns! Oh, sorry, I am referring to Tejas!!:D

Yea, my baby born at Methodist in Houston, I know "Tejas"!

catherine96821:
well, I know he was..."disturbed" but what about taking pictures (as a non-working diver) and having people request them and start giving you their cards in front of the operator who has just taken a lot? And that brings up another issue. Should dive guides be doubling as photogs anyway?
See, I like to take pictures and give them to people. You know, share the love.

I don't see anything wrong whatsoever with what you were doing. If Grouch is really worried about his "clients" being stolen, even on the dock, sounds like a personal problem to me. I'm not sure I want him teaching anything, much less diving. And as far as him shaking you, the same rule applies to anything underwater -- look but don't touch.

I also don't have a problem with dive guides doubling as photogs, either -- as long as it doesn't interfere with their main objective. If you point out something to me and then take my picture as I'm investigating it, that's perfectly fine. I'm hardly photogenic (as my pictures demonstrate), but I don't mind having my picture taken underwater. Just be careful not to do more shooting than guiding... :D

okamiotoko2004:
Wow. This was here on the island? Any company in particular? Giving him the finger was letting him off light. Anyone say anything to him on the boat after the fact? I would file or at least call BBB. That was totally uncalled for. Any one posing for a pic wants their pic taken and the DM's don't own the divers they take out plain and simple.
Please let me know who it is so I know to stay clear of that company.
Cement fins, hand cuffed and cut airlines is more like it.

His name starts with A. PM sent to my O'Hana! I feel better! thanks

Ethicly, you did nothing wrong at all. Hawking pics on the boat would have been pretty low, but that wasn't the case. The guy clearly has issues.

You've got a couple of issues here:

1 - the guy who grabbed you underwater was totally out of line and written complaints need to be made. If he's done this to you, you can bet he's done it to some else who doesn't have your experience or confidence.

2 - taking photos of other divers while on a commercial venture when you are aware that there is a photo "pro" trying to sell some images. First, introduce yourself on the boat to the guy with the camera. let him know that while you might pop a shot or two of a diver if it comes up, that isn't what you are there for. Let him know that you do try to send an image of the diver to the diver via email if you like the way it turns out. This should open up some clear lines of communication and he can include it in his brief to his divers - they will then, hopefully, stay out of your way and go to him when they want a photo taken. If you happen to be in the same place and snap a few frames, everyone is fine. Back on the boat, the courteous thing to do is accept the proffered business cards of divers that you have snapped while encouraging/reminding them that their guide/photo guy took a whole range of images of their dives.

File the report.

His customer initiate the discussion. He has NO RIGHT to tell you who to talk to or to photograph. He has NO RIGHT to attack you under any circumstances. The customers don't belong to him.

We don't need people like him in the buissness, it gives us a bad and brutish reputation. I'll bet he didn't impress any of the intros either.

File a report with the law (assult) and the BBB

alcina ... good points , the reasonable thing to do ...
In this case, it would have probaly made no difference because for a reasonable thing to work , it has to have been said to a reasioning person .. pretty sure this guy would have heard nothing
Grabbing someone underwater is totaly uncalled for and something should be said about it,Catherine

sounds like assault to me...

alcina:
You've got a couple of issues here:

1 - the guy who grabbed you underwater was totally out of line and written complaints need to be made. If he's done this to you, you can bet he's done it to some else who doesn't have your experience or confidence.

2 - taking photos of other divers while on a commercial venture when you are aware that there is a photo "pro" trying to sell some images. First, introduce yourself on the boat to the guy with the camera. let him know that while you might pop a shot or two of a diver if it comes up, that isn't what you are there for. Let him know that you do try to send an image of the diver to the diver via email if you like the way it turns out. This should open up some clear lines of communication and he can include it in his brief to his divers - they will then, hopefully, stay out of your way and go to him when they want a photo taken. If you happen to be in the same place and snap a few frames, everyone is fine. Back on the boat, the courteous thing to do is accept the proffered business cards of divers that you have snapped while encouraging/reminding them that their guide/photo guy took a whole range of images of their dives.

DING DING DING We have a winner Alcina is right on the money (no pun intended!):D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom