Ethics of shooting a "diver"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dherbman:
I love it when names are named.

hey--I agree, no little made-up name for me. If you aren't willing to sign your name you should not be saying it!

catherine96821:
ok, I thought the whole idea was if something really bad happened by an operator, people can look on SB and get feedback. its not like what happened was my perception that the sandwich was moldy. he did it and people saw it.
Maybe someone should invite him to state his own case.

Besides, this thread makes it pretty clear who it is if people can guess who it is.

If someone needs to know they can PM you.

Go back and kick him in the balls.

dbg40:
Regardless of his motives, if "grouch" had put his hands on me, I would have knocked him off the boat without conversation. Yell if it makes you feel better, but don't touch. ...No good will come of this.

Wow...just found this thread :11:

No matter what he was thinking...he had NO right to touch you...none what so ever. It doesn't matter what country you come from...touching is a no no, much less shaking!

Shame on him

El Orans:
Maybe someone should invite him to state his own case.

Besides, this thread makes it pretty clear who it is if people can guess who it is.

If someone needs to know they can PM you.

YOU can, I know he advertises here, so you probably have his contact. I don't plan on ever speaking to him for obvious reasons.

Perhaps I just don’t know enough about you Catherine as a photographer but I disagree with Alcina. I don’t think you should have had to go out of your way to explain to anyone what you may be doing underwater with a camera.

If groucha55 had an issue, perhaps he did not see the fellow ‘ask’ for a snapshot. In any case he has a serious anger management problem to body slam you or anyone else simply taking a photo of another diver while under water. Even if you had solicited ‘his’ divers underwater it would not justify verbal and physical assault, and I cannot think of any reason to justify his behavior. If you are an established professional photographer (public reputation) I still think you have the right to leisure time and may use a camera just as any other Tom Dick or Harry (who does have the right to ask you, politely, not to take their photo.) If he was my DM I’d have been horribly embarrassed. I wonder if he had any other hissy fits along the way that day. Anyone see him lying on the ocean floor kicking his fins in in the sand? Putting a fist through the hull?

His conduct in my opinion was potentially dangerous, extraordinarily childish and very unprofessional. And, if I were in your shoes, I’d seriously consider publicly (such as here) notifying just who and what operation that was. As much as I would not like to dis any local, I feel it was that over the top of questionable behavior and potential guests should be cautioned about his judgment capabilities. I’ve been slammed here for dissing a shop but I didn’t want one bad apple to spoil the bushel. Definitely I’d share the incident with the owner of the operation. His conduct was entirely inappropriate and presuming he’d want to know how his employee’s behaved while working under his name. If he is the owner, I would consider involving law enforcement and Better Business Bureau; this person was way, way out of line. Bring the photo.

If he had any concerns you may be ‘stealing’ his clients I think it would have been better for him to ask to speak privately with you to discuss it.

And too, I’d have been likely to respond with your simple message as well.:D

catherine96821:
What are the ethics of taking a diver's picture if the operator thinks they "belong" to him? It is true that sometimes I will e-mail a picture to someone if they ask, but I do not sell pictures. Still, often, the operators are swimming around with little ..baby cameras and trying to sell CD's, so I can see the conflict.
Thoughts, Hmmm?

PS we had some wine that night and looked through my shots and howled. You could see Grouch in the background, coming in for the tackle. here's my sister but I better keep that one of Grouch offa here.

Ethics of shooting a diver. I don't think there are any. If you can get away with it and no one sees you spear him for being an A#$ then more power to you.

Oh, sorry, you said shoot a diver's picture, I thought you said spear and a#$#9le diver.:D

Sounds like dive grouch has an issue and I would file a police report especially since you have witnesses. We don't need his kind on the boats with us. If he would have grabbed me underwater and shook me I would have pulled his reg out and shot his BC full of air. My story would have been he was freaking out and I did what I had to for my protection.

catherine96821:
YOU can, I know he advertises here, so you probably have his contact. I don't plan on ever speaking to him for obvious reasons.
Sorry Catherine,

I'm just a Guide here. I don't know that person, do not wish to know that person and do not know how advertising is handled here. NetDoc would probably know.

oh, sorry laurens. not important.

redrover:
Perhaps I just don’t know enough about you Catherine as a photographer but I disagree with Alcina. I don’t think you should have had to go out of your way to explain to anyone what you may be doing underwater with a camera.
There is a huge difference in "having to go out of your way" and greasing the skids. You don't ever *have* to be nice or to explain what you're up to or to "go out of your way" for anyone. But the investment in paying attention to what other folks are up to, spotting areas that could be potential conflicts and taking friendly steps to clarify your objectives before they can be misinterpreted sure does make life more pleasant. Just like identifying hazards and taking steps to ameliorate them can prevent a mishap, identifying potential conflicts of interest and taking steps to agree in advance can prevent a confrontation later.
It is well worth my time to take such steps, even though you are absolutely correct that I shouldn't (and in fact don't) have to do so.
Of course sometimes you run into a complete jerk and your efforts will be rebuffed at the outset - and in this particular case that's pretty likely given the paranoia displayed by Catherine's Grouch, but the only thing for sure is that if you don't try at all, it won't work.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom