Ever get pain on bottom of nose from your mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess is a combo of mask fit and strap position. You should be able to wear a mask for several hours (if it fits properly). E.g. if I go spearfishing (freediving) it is quite possible that I will have my mask on for up to 3 hrs straight, then out for lunch and a little rest before another 2 or 3 hours.

Loosen strap (it only needs to keep mask from floating away... not cranked tightly onto your head) and equalize more often/fully.

And we'll all just pretend that you never mentioned a purge valve in a mask.

It's all about fit, and also mask equalization during the dive. Also, I will frequently "readjust" my mask on my face just for comfort if I feel it has crept up. I would not have a mask with a purge valve below the nose, they almost certainly will cause discomfort it they move on your face at all.
DivemasterDennis

I have had pain at the bottom of my nose from my mask, and recognize the discomfort right away now when I put the mask on. It's a low volume mask that fits me perfectly and almost never leaks, and normally doesn't hurt. When I put my mask on, I ensure that it's not too close to the bottom of my nose and my mask strap is straight. That's it, just ensure that the mask isn't pushing up on your nose, and when you equalize, that you're not inadvertently pushing the mask up against your nose.

BTW, low volume masks don't need a purge valve. You may find them much more comfortable.

Had this issue too recently - just got back - only a couple times but just re adjusted the mask and it seemed to go away but very annoying when it happens - guess i didn't notice mask wasn't on right until it hurt.

This is one of the reasons tech divers that do very long dives use a Low Volume Mask. Less buoyancy pushing up on your nose from a standard or high volume mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought it was because they look cool:wink:

I found this thread in a search because I have the exact same issue. I'll try some of the suggestions about mask placement. With respect to mask volume, I'm using a Scubapro Crystal Vu Plus (SCUBAPRO - CRYSTAL VU PLUSscuba) mask. The ad copy describes it as low volume but is it for these purposes or should I be looking into something with a lower volume? Thanks.

I found this thread in a search because I have the exact same issue. I'll try some of the suggestions about mask placement. With respect to mask volume, I'm using a Scubapro Crystal Vu Plus (SCUBAPRO - CRYSTAL VU PLUSscuba) mask. The ad copy describes it as low volume but is it for these purposes or should I be looking into something with a lower volume? Thanks.

Do you have the Plus or the Plus with purge? I've used the Plus with purge and it hurts my nose. The Plus without the purge is no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom