Ever use a gas meter as an O2 analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver32

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any firefighters ever use a gas meter off the truck as a Nitrox analyzer? Ours measures O2 to 1/10 of a percent? Just a thought, any one ever try it??????

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. We don't use them (I'm a LEO) simply because we don't use any analyzer's and can't use Nitrox over 21%.

Gary D.

In theory it would work. For a few reasons I would not trust it for anything other than our standard uses.

First, it measures four gasses (O2, CO, H2S and LEL). Therefore, it has more than just a single detector in it. More moving parts introduces more points of failure. A standard diving industry O2 sensor is more simple than our monitors.

Second, at least by our protocols, the meters are calibrated each morning and they are stored in nice containers. But being firemen, probably the species closest to neanderthol, the gas monitors are not always handled gently or calibrated as required. I know how I do it, but there are three other shifts of guys who have different habits than myself. Given that, I'd prefer the properly maintained, single gas monitor stored safely in my gear box.

(Anecdotally, I've also sent our monitor in for repairs more than any other piece of equipment.)

Remember, we're breathing diving gasses under pressure which - because of the potentially fatal consequences - makes accuracy far more important than checking the O2 ten feet down a utility vault.

Cheers,

Glaucus:
But being firemen, probably the species closest to neanderthol,

QUOTE]
You need to warn me before doing something like that. I think I just wet myself. :D

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

And if you guys are Neanderthol's we, as LEO’s are Homo Erectus at best. :D

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Glaucus:
But being firemen, probably the species closest to neanderthol,

QUOTE]
You need to warn me before doing something like that. I think I just wet myself. :D

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

And if you guys are Neanderthol's we, as LEO’s are Homo Erectus at best. :D

Gary D.

You shouldnt reveal the dirty secrets of the fire service.... it makes the LEO's heads all swell.

Ok, OK.
I wasn't gonna use it for primary mixing.
I am the knuckle draggin hose monkey who calibrates these stupid things
I calibrated it just before trying the test
I tried it today on a tank I knew the mix of..... it worked, but took forever to get to the mix point (32%), i probally used 500 psi at a slow rate to get it.
It might work in a pinch, but I wouldn't rely on it.
It was just a curisoity.

Dan
Barnard Fire District, Rochester NY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom