Ever Used a Warranty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biles

Reaction score
When I hear that I really need a manufacturer's warranty, my first thought is "Why, is it going to break?" I know that things to happen, but if it is a real problem then I don't want to buy from that manufacturer.

That said, anyone ever had to use a Manufacturer's Warranty? Not just had the retailer fix the problem (what I expect), but told that you needed to send it back to the manufacturer to get it fixed?

If so, what did you feel about the retailer who didn't correct the problem for you?

Thanks,

Bob

When I hear that I really need a manufacturer's warranty, my first thought is "Why, is it going to break?" I know that things to happen, but if it is a real problem then I don't want to buy from that manufacturer.

The way I look at it is I probably wouldn't buy any major item without a warranty. I wouldn't buy a computer or a new car without a warranty. Everything is built by people, and people are failable.... anything could fail. If I felt like "if it is a real problem then I don't want to buy from that manufacturer" I wouldn't have many manufacturers left to buy from

That said, anyone ever had to use a Manufacturer's Warranty?

Yes

Not just had the retailer fix the problem (what I expect), but told that you needed to send it back to the manufacturer to get it fixed?

Yes. Although I have had the retailer send the item back to the manufacturer for me. That is mostly what I expect from a retailer... they didn't make the product, and anything more than a minor repair I would prefer the manufacturer repair it anyway.

If so, what did you feel about the retailer who didn't correct the problem for you?

Didn't affect how I felt about the retailer much, they did what they could and all I could resonably expect. They don't always have the same diagnostic tools and access to the same equipment the manf. do.

That's just my 2 cents from my own experience.

The way I look at it is I probably wouldn't buy any major item without a warranty. I wouldn't buy a computer or a new car without a warranty. Everything is built by people, and people are failable.... anything could fail. If I felt like "if it is a real problem then I don't want to buy from that manufacturer" I wouldn't have many manufacturers left to buy from

Computers are perfect examples. Many folks won't buy the low end PCs because failure means sending it half way round the world for repair. I'd rather have a local store fix it. And the probability of failure during the warranty period is small.

Cars are treated by the manufacturer as an insurance problem. The retailer is the one doing the repairs.

So, if retailers (like Leisure Pro) are fixing the small percentage of products that break during warranty, why all of the fuss about manufacturer's warranty?

I have never used a warranty for any piece of dive gear I own. That said I am glad I have one on my computer and Salvo HID. I'm not so concerned with everything else

Computers are perfect examples. Many folks won't buy the low end PCs because failure means sending it half way round the world for repair. I'd rather have a local store fix it. And the probability of failure during the warranty period is small.

Depends on how you look at it. I can buy a computer at my local Sears, but that doesn't mean they are going to be the one to fix it if it breaks.

So, if retailers (like Leisure Pro) are fixing the small percentage of products that break during warranty, why all of the fuss about manufacturer's warranty?

I don't know how much Leisure Pro fixes VS replaces with a new one. Is your question more about what is wrong with buying from Leisure Pro and if it is a bad idea to have something that has no manufacturers warranty?

I can say that scubapro has been great. I used to work at a dive shop and we never had a problem sending gear back for repair/replacement. they will also usually give you some value on your equiptment and give you the option of an upgrade on a similar peice of equiptment.

Jumbo

I've purchased from both my LDS and LP. With some things fit matters and I won't buy over the internet. There's VALUE in trying on many wetsuits to get one I'm happy with.

If you just get an unopened box, I'd like to know if people found value in paying 30% more for a manufacturers warranty. After all, that seems to be the reason the LDS' around here say not to shop on-line. (I know that many on-line items carry a Manuf. warranty - still it's the argument heard).

I've never used a warranty on any of my scuba gear.

That said, anyone ever had to use a Manufacturer's Warranty? Not just had the retailer fix the problem (what I expect), but told that you needed to send it back to the manufacturer to get it fixed?

Yup. Princeton Tec lights have a lifetime guarantee. I had one die on me. They gave me a brand new one.

Why do you assume that the retailer is not involved in a warranty claim/service issue?

In the case of the light above, it was my LDS authorized retailer who told me about the lifetime warranty when I went in to buy a new one. They sent the dead one back (no shipping cost to me) and when it was pronounced dead at PT they authorized my LDS to give me a new one out of their stock. Light was several years old and the new replacement one was significantly improved.

If I had not bought the light at an authorized dealer I would not have gotten the free replacement, not only because of validity of warranty but also because they advised me of the warranty and actually processed the claim and ultimately provided the replacement for me.

I have had to use the warranty on my second dive computer. It worked great for many dives and then would not adjust to altitude. Sent it back to retailer, they sent it back to manufacturer and in turn I received brand new computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom