Every light a dive light...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachnik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, that title is a little bit of a stretch.

I searched the forum, I didn't see anyone commenting on this interesting thingy on blip.tv. Maybe you've already seen it, maybe not.

This guy takes a simple aluminum body LED light (from Home Depot), fills it with 'mineral oil' and voila, he's using it for diving. No leaks.

He's got a video on blip showing how he made it plus underwater video using it. Here's the link:

MechanicalMashup Episode 20

I built a can light filled with oil as well before...

Got tired of surfacing in a pool of oil.

Necropost....I just saw that vid and wondered the same. I can't even come close to affording a $400 light, this seems like a simple solution. It would be MUCH easier to contain the mineral oil (perm) than it would be to keep the pressure out.

I may give it a try.

There are relatively decent lights in the sub $100 range. One light that I'd recommend is a Ferei W150. Check on eBay - you can get one for $60. I snagged mine in an auction for $32.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom