Everything done right......still a hit.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
40 @ 90 is quite a lot if it's on air (my limit would be more like 25 mins on air, and 35 on 32%) so that could be the source of the problem -- maybe your computer is too aggressive? Were you at 90 for the entire 40 mins?

This thread makes me wonder about a few things:

-Doesn't sound like she dove a square profile. She used a computer, and NO computer would still be in no deco mode diving air after 40 minutes at 90 feet, no matter how liberal (others have said this, sorry for the rehash).
-Diving something richer than good ol EAN21?
-After only being out of the water for a few minutes, she gets symptoms of possible Type II DCS. This was a serious hit.

It's hard to believe that she could have done everything right and still been so seriously hit. Kinda makes me scared to go in the water again. We need some more information.

Lisa - glad to hear you are OK, and thanks for bringing the experience to SB.

-Nick

PerroneFord:
A 40 minute dive to 90ft is WELL into NDL and mandatory deco. That is not a recreational profile. You should be on nitrox, and probably decoing on 50% at least and perhaps oxygen from that dive. I'm not surprised you took a hit if you didn't make the required stops.
An diver using O2 or even 50% without proper training is asking for trouble. Bad advice here!

wedivebc:
An diver using O2 or even 50% without proper training is asking for trouble. Bad advice here!

Are you kidding? I am NOT advising anyone to use these gases without training. I am saying those gases might well be indicated for a dive of this type.

Geez.

wedivebc:

Dang - I don't even know of a shop around me that does O2 greater than 40%, and if I did, I bet they wouldn't give me a fill without an Adv. Nitrox card (and I don't have one of those). Speculation, not advice I guess.

-Nick

I'm for more information as well. Whey is our new poster not coming back? We need much more info on this to get some kind of idea.

Wow, I didn't think I would get a response this fast!! I guess I should clear a few things up. I have my Nitrox Certification along with Rescue Diver. You are correct, I was not at 89 feet the entire dive! That was my recorded bottom depth. The current was a little strong so I decided to stay in one spot, which was filled with marine life(even a lobster that crawled out from under the ledge to investigate)! I was diving nitrox. When I left the bottom I had 4 minutes until decompression. I did a slow ascent and did my proper safety stop, which also was interesting as I had two remoras hanging with me(I have pictures to prove it). My computer was taken to the shop and the profiles downloaded also my tank was rechecked(this was my first dive of the day). The dive before that was two days prior. I was checked for possible PFO and it was negative(along with every other possible medical cause). DAN was contacted as soon as the symptoms proved to be DCS. I must credit the dive boat crew for doing everything by the book, which saved my life!!
Thanks for caring,
Lisa
I'll answer any other questions anyone may have.

Lisa,

How hard were you working at depth dealing with the current? Also, how hard were you exerting yourself getting back onto the boat and then helping out?

Your computer's calculations for NDL is assuming that your effort at depth is average and that your exertion upon surfacing is average. It sounds like that was not the case.

Cameron

Cameron,

I wasn't exerting myself at all. We were doing a drift dive, half of the group went with the current, my half went against the current. Since the current was strong, I decided to find a good spot and just hang out there. So I wasn't exerting anything. On this type of dive, the boat comes to pick us up, so there is no exertion getting to the boat.
Thanks for asking,
Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Several thoughts:

First, I'm glad that you came through the ordeal, and want to dive again.

You've already seen a lot of posts with questions about the dive profile, comments about hydration, exercise, PFO, etc. You've also seen some of the "mini detours " that a thread like this can take-as posters reply to other posters in addition to your original post. There probably will be more to come-of all those types. Don't worry-almost everybody around SB tries to be helpful and supportive.

I say that because I've "been there done that" (getting bent, that is)-Aug 15, 2004-(welcome to the "club". :)

I'd also suggets that you "call DAN"-and get the name of a "local" dive physician;and to get DAN insurance-it won't prevent another incident, but it can help with the bills.

Your ideas re: hydration, nitrox (on air "tables"/computer settings, of course), taking it easy, etc.are well founded.

Be well, and good luck,
Mike

ocean4vr:
Wow, I didn't think I would get a response this fast!! I guess I should clear a few things up. I have my Nitrox Certification along with Rescue Diver. You are correct, I was not at 89 feet the entire dive! That was my recorded bottom depth. The current was a little strong so I decided to stay in one spot, which was filled with marine life(even a lobster that crawled out from under the ledge to investigate)! I was diving nitrox. When I left the bottom I had 4 minutes until decompression. I did a slow ascent and did my proper safety stop, which also was interesting as I had two remoras hanging with me(I have pictures to prove it). My computer was taken to the shop and the profiles downloaded also my tank was rechecked(this was my first dive of the day). The dive before that was two days prior. I was checked for possible PFO and it was negative(along with every other possible medical cause). DAN was contacted as soon as the symptoms proved to be DCS. I must credit the dive boat crew for doing everything by the book, which saved my life!!
Thanks for caring,
Lisa
I'll answer any other questions anyone may have.

As close as that to an "NDL" is a good time to realize that there just is no such thing.

From one table or model to the next "NDL's" can vary by huge percentages. Which is the real one?

A friend of mine was badly bent on a dive that his computer was happy enough with. Every one told him that he did everything right. Running the dive through the decompression software I use with the user selectable parameters set the way I have them, I would have done about 15 minutes more decompression than he did (he essentially just did a safety stop) and I would have started much deeper. Would it have made the difference for him? Of course I can't say but I do know that I wouldn't do the dive that his computer indicated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom