Examples without strobe etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyingvisit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi

Part of the reason I got into diving is because I really want to do some underwater photography. Unfortunately, the camera I use as my normal camera when I'm travelling (Panasonic FZ7) has no underwater case etc, so I'm looking around for something reasonably small to carry as an underwater camera only.

I'm currently divided between the A570 and the G10 (because of their manual controls) - but to start with, I suspect I won't have the money to afford a strobe and tray...

So my question is, has anyone got any specific examples of photos taken with either of these cameras - WITHOUT a strobe? Am I just kidding myself and would I get better results with a different (cheaper?) camera, but WITH a strobe and tray?

Its all so confusing!

Thanks in advance

Not G10 but the older brother G9.

at 10 m, manual wb, natural light - unfortunately OE.
IMG_1375_Coral_s.jpg

at 14 m, RAW, natural light
Mantis_shrimp31.jpg

For makro, you still can use internal flash but make sure to install the difuser.
I do not have picture G9 w/ internal flash - but I took this picture w/ my SP-350 with internal flash
moray_eel7.jpg

However for UW, external strobe is strongly recommended if not a must.

Natural light with Canon A570IS at about 70 to 100 feet of clear tropical water:

IMG_0718_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

Image without strobe:

IMG_0890.jpg

With Inon D2000:

IMG_0891.jpg

With Inon D2000:

IMG_1446.jpg

N

Thanks for those - I appreciate you posting them!

It actually gives me some confidence that even without a strobe it is possible to get good photos out of these cameras! (so I can save up for a strobe and not have to buy it straight off)

IF your diving in clear shallow water then no strobe is required, If your diving in clear deeper water and dont mind the blue or green haze to your shots then you dont need one.

If you want clear Vibrate colors all the time regardless of your depth then you need a strobe.

Shot in our dirty lakes :D

This was a G9 using ambiant light, you can see the noise and haze.

kelly.jpg

And then shot with two Ikelite DS160's

Nov112009a.jpg

I switched over to the G10 and went to Fiji last month without taking a strobe.... big mistake!!

Due to the fact that the housing extends so far out over the lens area, it tends to block the light from the internal strobe from covering much of the bottom of your shots.

This is my 3rd digital camera bought for underwater purposes... and this is the first time that I can say I will always need to use a strobe when shooting underwater with it.

That being said, there are some excellent buys out there on used strobes right now. However I went with the Inon S-2000 due to it's compactness for travel purposes.

In case it is helpful, I have included some links to the blogsite of an underwater photographer named Jan Messersmith, who prefers to use available light. His articles show the same photos taken with and without flash and explain why he prefers the flashless images, even though many people would find them less attractive.

His main point is that without flash, the image you get is closer to what you actually see underwater, even though it isn't as colorful. Flash corrects for the loss of colour (particularly red) underwater. So an image of a red coral, taken with flash, will make the coral look bright red - like it would if it was out of the water. But that isn't what is looks like when you are under the water so it's not "real".

To Flash or Not To Flash - That Is the Question | Madang - Ples Bilong Mi

Planet Rock Frolic | Madang - Ples Bilong Mi

What Colour IS IT? | Madang - Ples Bilong Mi

The Pulau Weh 2008 and Komodo 2009 pics I took linked in my signature were taken with a A570IS without strobe, just the internal flash. Once you begin to appreciate the limitations of the camera, and work within these boundrys you can get some very nice pics - I like the camera anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom