Excess liquor charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duty free prices are closer to US than MX. We buy best deals we find in town, pack, and go. I’m here most of the time, so I can take advantage of those 3 for 2, buy one get one half price, etc. deals.
That cheap Don Julio link seems a bit fishy to me. It lists at least two different types of DJ: 1942 and 70, which are distinctly different products.

Regarding lower liquor prices at local stores ...
I'm sure that's true, but you can't carry those bottles on yourself, can you? Wouldn't they have to be inside checked luggage? I'd want a lot of bubble wrap around each bottle, and the weight would be a factor.
All correct. I use something like these when packing liquor in checked luggage:
I haven't had a problem, and for me, I get a better selection, better prices, and I don't have to lug that weight through the various airports as a carry-on. There's also this conclusion in the CNN article that @DandyDon linked, regarding the new rules about liquor purchased at duty free shops abroad:

The safest bet is still to check your liquids. That's because the agency [TSA] still reserves the right to not clear your favorite drink or lotion. Liquids in metallic, opaque or ceramic bottles or other containers that cannot be scanned properly will not be allowed in carry-on luggage.​

I'm sure that's true, but you can't carry those bottles on yourself, can you? Wouldn't they have to be inside checked luggage? I'd want a lot of bubble wrap around each bottle, and the weight would be a factor.
I have brought back many bottles of Xtabentun from Cozumel wrapped in towels and laundry in my checked baggage. I have never had a problem. Liquor bottles are really not that fragile.

Last August I brought back a case of Controy in liters. I packed it in my checked baggage. I declared it. Other than being diverted to another line and taking a bit more time, it cost me $7.10 YMMV

Cheers -

Edit: Changed July to August

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom