Exercise after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
H

hwahl

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am currently working a coral restoration internship in which we often do 3-tank dives in a day, the deepest of which is 30ft. Surface intervals between dives range from 10 minutes to 90 minutes, and water temperatures during the summer range from 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit. With this information, I have 3 questions:

1.) If I dive conservatively (making safety stops before surfacing) and stay hydrated, is it safe for me to work out after dives? I go to a CrossFit gym at which workouts can be quite strenuous, but I can modify the exercises I’m feeling tired.

2.) If I CAN work out, should there be a certain time interval between my last dive and the start of the workout?

3.) Is it safe/more safe for me to work out in the morning before a 3-dive day instead?

My primary concern is increasing my risk of DCI. Looking forward to hearing some answers!

• In 2006 a group of divers exercised 10 minutes after 30min @30meters dive, 20 mins and surprisingly, they found that bubbles were again reduced, albeit this was done on fit navy divers.
Overall not a good idea to extrapolate these results into normal divers and that would require more research.
Any cases of DCS documented after post-dive strenuous exercise? Somehow I find statements that "gas in your tissues can be forced out by exercise post dive" questionable. Why would exercise force the gas out of tissues?

Diving is not intended to be exercise, but it happens to be when you get gas in your tissues that can be forced out by exercise post dive.

Somehow I find statements that "gas in your tissues can be forced out by exercise post dive" questionable. Why would exercise force the gas out of tissues?
I don't know where I read that. I thought it was in https://dive.si.edu/sites/default/files/proceedings_haldane.pdf but I can't find it there. So ignore all after "tissues."

Thanks! On p 19 then on pp 41-3 there are discussions of exercise pre-dive and during the dive, but not post-dive.

Really.!!!!! .......... "Sorry honey...... no sex for the next 10 days because we are on a 10 day totally romantic tropical dive trip and DAN says no exercise before or after diving"!

Maybe very low energy, slow and very docile lethargic sex would be OK... but we should check with DAN to get the exact level of energy that is allowed!! Really!!

Diving is not intended to be exercise, but it happens to be when you get gas in your tissues that can be forced out by exercise post dive. The thread is about strenuous exercise after diving. What is your point with the material quoted above?
The point of the material quoted above is in response to the people that say that skipping exercise is okay because diving is exercise. One person suggested exactly that in this very conversation.

The point of the material quoted above is in response to the people that say that skipping exercise is okay because diving is exercise. One person suggested exactly that in this very conversation.
Not the topic of the thread.

Not the topic of the thread.
And yet nevertheless a point made by someone else on the thread, so what's your point in repeating this line of inquiry? And also, it's a point that I made in parentheses. Surely you know what those mean?

A young couple did a double boat dive and then went home and did some "exercise" in the bedroom - which resulted in them each needing two chamber treatments. So exercise after diving is a no no - in the gym... or the bedroom...
Either they both had pre-existing conditions, or the dives had been very demanding, or their "exercise" was inhumanely intense.
I went on a liveaboard with my wife : 8 days / 4 dives per day on air up to 35m, and "exercising" at night hadn't landed either of us in a chamber.

Either they both had pre-existing conditions, or the dives had been very demanding, or their "exercise" was inhumanely intense.
I went on a liveaboard with my wife : 8 days / 4 dives per day on air up to 35m, and "exercising" at night hadn't landed either of us in a chamber.
I can rule out that the dives were very demanding, and I doubt that they had pre-existing conditions given the dives that they have done since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom