Exercise during dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kafkaland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
At home I enjoy a fairly vigorous exercise regime, typically five times a week of crossfit-like classes. When I went on dive trips in the past, I usually didn't do any workouts while I'm away, and it has always bothered me how hard it is to get back into the groove after a week or two of diving without working out in the gym. Now I'm wondering if there is a good way to squeeze one or two workout sessions in during an upcoming dive trip to Mexico, without increasing my risk of DCS unduly.

My understanding is that vigorous exercise right after diving is dangerous, but the opinion is split on exercise before diving. In fact, there are even claims that it can reduce bubble nucleation and actually be beneficial. But then, before today's dive is after yesterday's dive, so I'm not quite sure what that means for a week-long dive trip. Would it be generally considered safe to do an early morning workout session before diving perhaps twice during the week? The diving will all be in shallow Mexican caves on Nitrox, within NDLs. Oh, and has anyone been to Crossfit Impetus in Playa del Carmen? I always see them from the highway to Tulum and though I'd give them a try.

A work out in the morning - before a dive should not be an issue. You would be wise to be extra cautious about hydration and general energy levels, but I suspect that a well trained athlete is going to have more strength and stamina in the tank after a work out than most people have before going diving.

I often will do a somewhat strenuous (for me anyway) bike ride after a 4-5 hr surface interval.

kafkaland,
There was some discussion regarding diving and exercise earlier in this thread...
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...tense-exercise-diving.html?highlight=exercise
Some good links embedded in various posts, as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I totally kissed that thread. The ones I found were ten years plus old. And the links in there are indeed helpful. My takeaway is that I'm probably good with an early morning workout before diving, within the parameters of what I do. And I understand the potential concern about energy levels that dumpster diver mentions, and I feel quite comfortable with that as well. In fact, I'm wondering if such a workout before might even be beneficial to my diving. I noticed that I get a bit fidgety when I have been diving, but not exercising, for a few days, which is obviously not good when you're doing tie-offs, placing jumps, etc. Perhaps keeping the routine going and burning off some extra adrenaline in the morning will help. I'll try and report back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom