Exerscise reduces DCS chances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brssmnky

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I wonder if anyone else read or heard about this... I was going to post this a while ago when I first read it. :1book: There was a very short blip in the June or July issue of Discover Magazine (I think that's where I saw it :33: ) that said exercise :sprite10: before diving reduces the risk of getting the bends. I guess if you think about it, it makes sense, since your blood would be circulating faster to start with and that would cycle the nitrogen faster. Anyways, I thought I'd share. Happy Diving. :confined:

brssmnky:
So, I wonder if anyone else read or heard about this... I was going to post this a while ago when I first read it. :1book: There was a very short blip in the June or July issue of Discover Magazine (I think that's where I saw it :33: ) that said exercise :sprite10: before diving reduces the risk of getting the bends. I guess if you think about it, it makes sense, since your blood would be circulating faster to start with and that would cycle the nitrogen faster. Anyways, I thought I'd share. Happy Diving. :confined:

Just remember that increased metabolism also probably increased UPTAKE of nitrogen....

I could swear that Dr. Deco has said that exerceise before diving increase the chance of micronuclei forming, but I could be wrong.

An article he has previously pointed out to others:

http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Exercise200403.shtml

scubasean:
I could swear that Dr. Deco has said that exerceise before diving increase the chance of micronuclei forming, but I could be wrong.

I will try to find the article this weekend and let you know what magazine and issue it was in. :thumb:

Here are two articles that I wrote for recent issues of Undercurrent that speak to the topic:

Mar '04--Exercise Before, During, and After Diving
... there are DCS risks, indeeed

http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Exercise200403.shtml

May '04--More About Exercise Before Diving and a pill to prevent DCS?

"The investigators speculate that it may be possible to develop a drug for divers that would imitate the effects of general physical fitness.

In the March issue of Undercurrent, we examined the DCS risk posed by exercise before, during, and after scuba diving. We
concluded that strenuous exercise four hours before and six hours after diving should be avoided. We did not, however, address the possible effects of exercising well before the first dive, a topic that has received a flurry of interest in the wake of recent studies from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.

While research conducted in the early 1990s suggested that
exercising the day before a dive suppresses inert gas bubble production and reduces the incidence of DCS, this line of inquiry was not given much attention until the present Norwegian investigations. These studies have shown that a
single episode of high-intensity aerobic exercise 24 hours before a chamber dive decreases the number of bubbles more than fourfold and cuts the maximum bubble size in half.

Interestingly, other studies by members of this research group
have shown that heavy exercise suppressed bubble formation and reduced DCI-related deaths in rats when performed 20 hours prior to a chamber dive but had no meaningful effect at 48, 10, or five hours prior. High-intensity exercise half an hour before a dive actually increased bubble formation.

Also investigated were the effects of a drug known to release
nitric oxide within the body — not to be confused nitrous oxide, the “laughing gas.” When given to rats for five days and then 20 hours before a chamber dive, or when nitric oxide itself was administered 30 minutes prior, both bubble formation and death were significantly diminished.

Why particular regimens of exercise interfere with inert gas bubble formation is unclear. However, this later study has generated the hypothesis that high-intensity exercise may enhance the production of nitric oxide, a compound that relaxes capillary walls, allowing them to expand. This change might allow micronuclei generated by exercise to be more readily eliminated, thereby inhibiting the growth of bubbles of
sufficient size to cause DCS.

Many experts have suggested that physically fit divers are at less risk for DCS because of healthier and more numerous capillary systems to efficiently eliminate inert gases. If so, nitric oxide’s capacity to enlarge capillaries transiently, and perhaps render their surfaces less sticky and less likely to trap particles like microbubbles, may mimic the effects of fitness — improved capillary blood flow and filtration.

These findings don’t contradict our earlier advice regarding
minimizing exertion before, during, or after a dive. However, if vigorous activity is undertaken, it might best be done around 24 hours before diving. And, once you start getting wet on a dive vacation, the simplest and safest approach is it to delay the weight lifting and marathon training until after returning home.

As for a magic pill, the Norwegian investigators speculate that within a decade it may be possible to develop a nitric oxide releasing drug for divers that would imitate the effects of general physical fitness. However, there are many questions to be addressed, including whether indeed nitric
oxide is a major player.

So, given the uncertainties and the research to be done, speculation that a pill will allow divers to stay down longer without increased risk of DCS reminds us of the always sound scuba advice — when in a difficult spot, remain hopeful and don’t hold your breath. — Doc Vikingo"

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Ok, so I found the article... it's on page 14 of Discover magazine, the August Issue. A physiologist :doctor: in Croatia did tests where the subjects did an intense 40 minute workout 24 hours begore undergoing tests in a pressure chamber. Basically they showed a quarter as many nitrogen bubbles as compared to people tested that did not workout. As said above, it's the nitric oxide produced in the body during exercise that aided this. Anyways, I thought it was interesting. :33:

Back
Top Bottom