Expectations too high?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
Hmm...my AOW dives were a breeze, kind of boring.

I guess it depends on the conditions during the course. The water was really cold (by philippine standards), waves were rather large, and the currents were quite strong. Especially during the night dive. I felt like I was on an express way. Kind of freaky actually spent the dive looking out that I wouldn't crash into anything. :)

But I have to agree that some of the exercises are on the boring side. But some of them were really fun like in the peak performance buoyancy dive.

I learned very quickly that enviornment is a big factor as well. I recently finished my OW and my instructors have said not to worry about the AOW as such, but to take the courses I need for my area. While an EANx course is good anywhere, I also needed a drysuit course if I plan on diving Northeast wrecks. Figure out what you are going to dive and take the courses to dive, not for the card. Also keep in mind that 100 dives in an 80 degree lake doesn't mean you're advanced in a 40 degree ocean.

I've done a few dives where the current is so fast and the vis so bad that you literally almost can't move around things coming out of the murk fast enough.

If you've got good vis, I don't mind a fast drift dive. Combine that with bad vis, and you are likely to hurt something important.

I normally recommend signing up for Advanced after you buy your own equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom