Expected conditions this weekend (12/21)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsafanda

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't been diving in the Monetery area in months so I'm totally out of the loop.
However, I have a reservation for Lobos that I made months ago and would be psyched to go if conditions are good. I'm looking at forecasts for Sunday and the wave height looks good but perhaps all the recent rain and run off has made for murky vis?

I saw a post from someone who dove on 12/18 and it didn't sound too good. Any thoughts?

Give bruce a call at Aquarius dive shop. 831-375-1933, he has a dive report/conditions board of all the good dive sites. It would be a good place to start. Hope this helps.

I saw that report too but it sounded like they stayed in the cove, which can have so-so viz even when the viz outside the cove is really nice. So, I think it's best to kick out to the edge of the cove (or close to it) before decending and then you can follow middle reef back into the cove.

I'll be diving Lobos also on Sun, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for great conditions for us. I drive a grey 4Runner with a small dive flag on the bumper...make sure to say hi if you see me. :D

Whenever you get ANY report about conditions in a local dive site, be careful to ask very specifically about where the person was. I hear miserable reports about Pt. Lobos very frequently, then when I ask the right questions I learn the diver was 100' off the ramp in Whaler's Cove. Meanwhile, people who went out come back with great reports.

I went out with my favorite dive buddy--my wife--yesterday (Friday) and we had absolutely awesome conditions. We swam out to Hole in the Wall and dropped down on a very large Leopard Shark, then swam out past Sea Mount to Beto's Reef. She found a very nice Wool Eel in a cave on the reef and I tried to get a decent pix. Visibility was 50'-60', and the water was extremely calm. On the way back in the cove, we scared up at least half a dozen Leopard Sharks. That dive was 109' x 60 min--on a single HP80. For the second dive, we went out Middle Reef, looped around Granite Point Wall, then came back and played on the interior of Middle Reef before again chasing Leopard Sharks around Whaler's Cove. Visibility out by Granite Point Wall was about 40'.

Net: Friday was as good as it gets, supposing you don't mind rain while you're diving. Today (Saturday) looks like more of the same, except with bright sunshine and and a blue sky. It just doesn't get much better than this!

Bruce

You and your buddy must have gills. Sounds like an extraordinary dive.

Back
Top Bottom