Expelled PADI instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if PADI of all agencies expels you, run like the wind.... It takes an act of God to expel someone from PADI and it's usually for either some shady legal stuff, or he lost students and had a gross standards violation. Run away as fast as you can. From your area, I'd run towards Add Helium and see if one of their instructors will help you
I know this post is almost 7 years old, but am I correct in assuming that tbone is referring to the same Add Helium that is the subject of a 33 page post for selling re-breathers to Libya ?

I know this post is almost 7 years old, but am I correct in assuming that tbone is referring to the same Add Helium that is the subject of a 33 page post for selling re-breathers to Libya ?
Uhhh, yeah.

if a student comes up to an instructor after class, and asks a question about the countering high pressure nervous syndrome using trimix because of something they saw on the Discovery Channel, no agency in the world is going to require the instructor to say "I can't talk to you about that; it is forbidden knowledge for your level."
I don't think you know the answer... and I'm sure you made it up to make your article seem interesting.

When it comes to talking about PADI and the issue of disciplining errant instructors, the resident PADI-bashers have two stock posts, and they have to decide which one to use for a given post. Yes, sometimes the same person will use both stock responses within days or even hours of each other.
  1. PADI doesn't discipline instructors except for rare, extreme cases. You have to screw up mightily to catch PADI's interest.
  2. PADI is too quick to expel instructors, shifting the blame for any incident to them to keep it away from the organization itself. They will (to quote a common attack phrase) "throw the instructor under the bus." They should instead stand behind the instructor and support him or her through thick and thin, as a good agency will.

When it comes to talking about PADI and the issue of disciplining errant instructors, the resident PADI-bashers have two stock posts, and they have to decide which one to use for a given post. Yes, sometimes the same person will use both stock responses within days or even hours of each other.
  1. PADI doesn't discipline instructors except for rare, extreme cases. You have to screw up mightily to catch PADI's interest.
  2. PADI is too quick to expel instructors, shifting the blame for any incident to them to keep it away from the organization itself. They will (to quote a common attack phrase) "throw the instructor under the bus." They should instead stand behind the instructor and support him or her through thick and thin, as a good agency will.
Pretty much agree, although I'd add to (1): most instructor screwups are never reported, so how can PADI possibly respond? Only the most egregious are reported, if at all. Some instructor screwups I know about were handled by a shop owner firing an instructor.
To (2) I'd add: their support is demonstrably unequivocal if the instructor performed to standards. When the bus comes in is when an instructor ignored/violated some standard. What PADI is doing is defending its standards....

How about when PADI defense lawyers turned over confidential records pertaining to an instructor, to the prosecutor in a wrongful death suit? They earned themselves a strong censure from the presiding judge and arguably should have been disbarred.

How about when PADI defense lawyers turned over confidential records pertaining to an instructor, to the prosecutor in a wrongful death suit? They earned themselves a strong censure from the presiding judge and arguably should have been disbarred.
Doesn’t meet the narrative.

We ignore that

I have not personally known anyone who was expelled, but the ones I know of were expelled for sexual encounters during training and gross standards violations during training, in those cases violations resulting in student death. If issues are minor, PADI will almost always use some sort of corrective measure first rather than a permanent expulsion. Expulsion is the result of a serious problem. Despite what it says in post #3, the fact that there are more than 200 names on the expelled list should tell you that it does not take "an act of God" to be expelled from PADI.
Sexual encounter during training? I thought that was mandatory on the 100th dive. But seriously, was it not consensual ? That would be criminal. If it was consensual I have to think it happens a lot especially for OW.

Japan seems to be over represented in the lists for expelled instructors and dive centers. What’s going on over there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom