Experience before Cavern?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NSDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the next couple of years I'll be living pretty close to N. Florida and was thinking about taking a cavern course. I've only been diving down there once (Ginnie Springs in March) and I was pretty intrigued.

My question is this: what level of experience did most of you cavern/cave divers have before starting cavern training? I'm sure the answers will be all over the place - I'm just interested in hearing everyones thoughts.

-Nick

I got my cavern cert at around 50 dives, maybe a bit less. If you are comfortable in the water, and you can get with a good instructor, why not?

You won't lose anything by taking the class. If you aren't ready, it will become evident.

Experience ~50 dives

Best thing I did to be ready? DIR-F. No question.

I have seen a lot of divers (cavern certified and not) who looked like they were struggling terribly in the overheard environment. I think a good degree of proficiency in buoyancy, trim, and problem management should be obtained before getting a cavern card.

I wish GUE wasn't the only place to take Fundies. I guess the Essentials class also qualifies but I don't know if it's taught widely. But either of those classes will let you know if you are ready.

Alternately, do some challenging OW divers with a cave diver and ask them if you think they are ready.

I had closer to 100 dives when I took my cavern class.

That being said, I don't think that number of dives is neccesarily the most important consideration to think about before taking this course. Much more important would be what you have done during those dives. As Perrone mentioned, having good bouyancy and trim, good awareness, and the ability to think through problems underwater are a MUCH more important asset than, say, 500 dives when you spend much of the dive vertical in the water, loosing your buddy, and not thinking about what you would do if problem "X" occurred.

I did the ginnie cavern at ginnie springs on my 6th dive. It was a blast, I also went into devil's eye and little devil, but not very far at all. Little devil is crazy its like this little crack in the river that you drop down into. I didnt even know there was a cavern diving course. I thought there was just a cave diving course.

Frightening.

You weren't in there last Saturday were you? Around Noon...

No I did it 8 years ago, when I was 13. I know it was stupid, but that cavern entrance if i remember it correctly was really big.

Glad you're still among the living. Some others have not been as forutnate.

take it slow take the course first dont go cavern diveing into you go threw with the class get the time under you belt....

Have people died doing the Ginnie Cavern?

I was checking out there website and they say that Ginnie cavern is among the handful of sites that experts consider sufficiently safe to allow exploration by divers who lack formal cavern or cave diver training.

So I think if you have never done a cavern before and want to see what it is like this is a good place to start.

According to the website you can also check out the Devil's spring cave system, all three of the springs allow you to go in with out a cave or cavern certification as far as you can see with natural lighting. Since with out a cert they have a very strict no light rule. Again another good chance to check out a little cavern/cave diving and see if it is for you.

My dad hates it he gets claustrophobic when he is in a overhead environment. Suffice it to say sounds like it is a good place for a begginner looking to start cavern/cave diving. Here is the website Ginnie Sping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom