Experience from first Monterey dives last weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, normally 20-30lbs is not over weight if you have a really really thick wetsuit or a drysuit with multiple layers of insulation. Obviously with your wetsuit, steel tank and your experience 24lbs was too much. For me that's about right but I wear a drysuit with two layers of insulation. I would guess with a 10mm wetsuit and a BP/W 12-15lbs would be about right.

My guess is the shop was underestimating your experience and didn't want you coming back claiming you didn't have enough lead. I've seen shops put that much lead on open water students in a 70F pool with BC and 3mm wetsuit.

Weight requirement is proportional to insulation, the thicker your insulation (wet suit,or drysuit undies) the more weight you need to compensate for the extra bouyancy. Sounds like the dive shop misjudged what you needed & you made the mistake of following their advice.

When I find myself facing a new bouyancy situation---new gear, travel situation with different temperatures and/or rental gear, etc.---I log what I'm wearing, the temperature (if I know), the weight carried, etc. so the next time I have a clue how to weight myself.

Chalk it up to experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom