Experience level needed to dive with Current Junkies Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm doing some long range planning and interested in Komodo. I've come across Current Junkies and really like the idea of their approach; small group and make the most of the current, rather than avoid it. The website suggests they do some training at the beginning of the trip, but all the reviews say they are for 'experienced divers'. Not having been to Komodo before, I'm trying to work out 'how experienced?'

I've got 170 dives now and decent buoyancy control and comfort in water. I've done a couple of Andaman Sea liveaboards that involved a bit of drift diving, but nothing mask ripping and dealt with some current on a couple of Nusa Penida dives. My local diving in Sydney is all pretty benign. I'll be at Misool next year and expect there to be some current diving on that trip too. I've never used a reef hook.

Is there anyone who has experience diving with Current Junkies who can give candid advice on whether this might be an adequate level of experience for a stretching but enjoyable trip or no where near enough to do it safely?

Might be good to check with them, but I bet they wont turn you away.
Looks like you have a good level of experience so I wouldn't be to worried. Just pay attention to the briefings, keep with your group, and don't panic.
There are loads of very inexperienced divers in Komodos waters which always amazes me but I'm talking about people with new c cards not the # of dives you have, you should be good to go.

I'd say probably so....though I have not been to Komodo because we wanted to get more practiced before taking on any challenging currents.

The skills that we added are negative entry and blowing an SMB at depth. You might want to practice those before you need them :)

Reef hooks can be problematic, make sure you work out a comfortable way to not only deploy it (that's the easy part) but also store it after use while you continue your dive. Mine got unrolled while I wasn't looking and it grabbed the reef unexpectedly during a high-current dive. That was NOT fun! Make sure you bring a cutter just in case.

FWIW I thought I had "decent buoyancy control" before I took Fundies, but I really got it from that class. I also dropped a whole bunch of lead, that really helped a lot!

Good luck and have fun!

- Bill

I'd say probably so....though I have not been to Komodo because we wanted to get more practiced before taking on any challenging currents.

The skills that we added are negative entry and blowing an SMB at depth. You might want to practice those before you need them :)

Reef hooks can be problematic, make sure you work out a comfortable way to not only deploy it (that's the easy part) but also store it after use while you continue your dive. Mine got unrolled while I wasn't looking and it grabbed the reef unexpectedly during a high-current dive. That was NOT fun! Make sure you bring a cutter just in case.

FWIW I thought I had "decent buoyancy control" before I took Fundies, but I really got it from that class. I also dropped a whole bunch of lead, that really helped a lot!

Good luck and have fun!

- Bill

Fundies was what gave me the decent buoyancy control!

I'd treat dives in strong currents as solo dives since it may be difficult, if not impossible, to get to your buddy quickly if you are downcurrent. I'd also want to prepare for boat seperation which can happen in strong currents. Perhaps the self reliant diver course would be useful in helping you think about redundancies for solo diving and signaling devices for boat seperation. I would also look for a pair of power fins and spend some time in the pool getting into shape for swimming against the current in case of need.

I don't think the number of dives under your belt is a good indicator of preparedness for diving strong currents.

Reactions: CJS
I'd treat dives in strong currents as solo dives since it may be difficult, if not impossible, to get to your buddy quickly if you are downcurrent. I'd also want to prepare for boat seperation which can happen in strong currents. Perhaps the self reliant diver course would be useful in helping you think about redundancies for solo diving and signaling devices for boat seperation. I would also look for a pair of power fins and spend some time in the pool getting into shape for swimming against the current in case of need.

I don't think the number of dives under your belt is a good indicator of preparedness for diving strong currents.

Dived Komodo in Sept 2016, all good observations above... particularly the last point.
Be aware the current can also take you DOWN, very important to keep a cool head and not panic... think about how you may handle that situation!

Contact Current Junkies. Tell them your diving skills and prior experience. Although a fundies background is helpful, diving in moderate currents will be a new learning experience. Relatively inexperienced divers with good spatial awareness and buoyancy control will have a good experience with experienced DMs that know the dive sites. The guys that run Current Junkies are real pros and will make sure that you have a fun and safe experience.

Great comments above on who to look after yourself and prepare.
I would like to add one other suggestion for you to consider.
It could important for you to look into the amount of time a company has been operating in Komodo as well as the price you pay.

These days there are many new outfits popping up, which cater to the growing amount of backpackers and day trip divers and are therefore very cheap.
I've seen dive guides from some of those outfits leading divers around on a leash on Crystal Rock and Batu Balong, which can have very strong currents - especially down currents.
Ask yourself if it is safe diving practice to not turn away divers to those more notorious sites, despite their obvious lack of experience and skills.
A dive guide with extensive local knowledge of the sites, tides and currents in Komodo, who practices safe diving techniques and can give proper dive briefings, which illustrate the parts of the dive where you need to take particular care, simply cost more.
In Komodo you tend to get what you pay for.

Obviously, companies also grow in experience and skills with every dive they lead.
You seem to have enough skills and experience, Nusa Penida dives can be comparable to Komodo.
So, I would recommend that you check the company you want to dive with and their guides have enough experience too.

My comments are not meant to read specifically with regards to Current Junkies, but in general for planning trips in Komodo.

Last edited:
Thats great then.
I meant it as a general thought process for Komodo, rather than specifically directed at a specific outfit (just to clarify what I wrote).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom