Question Experience with Fleece and Thinsulate drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
In my research on drysuit undergarment materials, I’d like to briefly summarize my findings on these insulation materials and get real world feedback from experienced divers.

As a general statement, I’ll start saying for a given thickness, Thinsulate is a superior insulating material than “Fleece”. Thinsulate keeps you warmer for a given thickness. As a result of this, a Thinsulate undergarment and drysuit will more likely require less weighting (lead) than a “Fleece” undergarment and drysuit (for a given temperature comfort level).

Thinsulate is a 3M trademarked product, so I’m guessing it’s properties should be pretty consistent. “Fleece“ manufactured with different specs and from different sources has variable insulating and physical properties. So some fleeces can be better than others, but in general Thinsulate should always be the better insulating material by a varying amount.

My take on this is a Thinsulate undergarment is likely to be a superior undergarment material and has the important attribute to allow divers to dive with less weight since it displaces less air for a given temperature comfort level.

In my research on drysuit undergarment materials, I’d like to briefly summarize my findings on these insulation materials and get real world feedback from experienced divers.

As a general statement, I’ll start saying for a given thickness, Thinsulate is a superior insulating material than “Fleece”. Thinsulate keeps you warmer for a given thickness. As a result of this, a Thinsulate undergarment and drysuit will more likely require less weighting (lead) than a “Fleece” undergarment and drysuit (for a given temperature comfort level).

Thinsulste is a 3M trademarked product, so I’m guessing it’s properties should be pretty consistent. “Fleece“ manufactured with different specs and from different sources has variable insulating and physical properties. So some fleeces can be better than others, but in general Thinsulate should always be the better insulating material by a varying amount.

My take on this is a Thinsulate undergarment is likely to be a superior undergarment material and has the important attribute to allow divers to dive with less weight since it displaces less air for a given temperature comfort level

Thinsulste is a 3M trademarked product, so I’m guessing it’s properties should be pretty consistent. “Fleece“ manufactured with different specs and from different sources has variable insulating and physical properties. So some fleeces can be better than others, but in general Thinsulate should always be the better insulating material by a varying amount.

My take on this is a Thinsulate undergarment is likely to be a superior undergarment material and has the important attribute to allow divers to dive with less weight since it displaces less air for a given temperature comfort level.
Having dived with both, I echo your conclusion on Thinsulate. That is why I went one step better and purchased a Weezle Plus for a dive trip to Antarctica. Water temps were right at freezing, or below.

I like fleece for mobility and washability. Thinsulate only when fleece won't provide enough insulation. I liked my 200g/m2 Thinsulate undergarment well enough, but a 4th Element Arctic does the same job. For truly cold water, I guess Thinsulate wins, as fleece would have to be a lot thicker than the Thinsulate. I don't dive cold water.

In my research on drysuit undergarment materials, I’d like to briefly summarize my findings on these insulation materials and get real world feedback from experienced divers. ...
From ancient memory, there are different types of Thinsulate. Type B (?) is what is preferred for drysuit underwear, since it has greater resistance to crushing (maintains its loft). It is the loft in the underwear--actually, the air/nitrox/argon that's in the loft--that keeps you warm.

Also, you want your drysuit underwear to keep you as warm as possible when your suit floods. Thinsulate won't turn into a soggy, matted mess if it gets wet.

Again, from ancient memory,

rx7diver

And I find thinsulate sucks but not until I get in the water, for non diving it’s pretty impressive.

And I find thinsulate sucks but not until I get in the water, for non diving it’s pretty impressive.
Available sizes of thinsulate undergarments was a problem for me. I mean also it does not stretch so you have to have it fit well. Too big would not be so bad if only a little over size. My Polar Guard 200 is helped out with a vest of addition warmth some times. Not sure where I can find in Bay Area off shelf where I can try out in stores Thinsulate. Many places already looked at, but now I see ones made for diving in drysuit an be a grand an plus! The DUI 200 weight stuff is a two way stretch material and I shortened the sleeves a bit. 50 degree water without a thermocline too much and I get by OK.

What is 4th Element Arctics made from? I don't think thinsulate? Maybe some type of really dense fleece?

It doesn't compress like thinsulate does.

Available sizes of thinsulate undergarments was a problem for me. I mean also it does not stretch so you have to have it fit well. Too big would not be so bad if only a little over size. My Polar Guard 200 is helped out with a vest of addition warmth some times. Not sure where I can find in Bay Area off shelf where I can try out in stores Thinsulate. Many places already looked at, but now I see ones made for diving in drysuit an be a grand a plus! The DUI 200 weight stuff is a two way stretch material and I shortened the sleeves a bit. 50 degree water without a thermocline too much and I get by OK.
This has served me well

there are other brands that are similar, they offer insulation even with some squeeze. Thinsulate works fine if you have room to keep the loft and enough weight to off set the lift of loft but not to much that the bubble causes compression of the lower half of your body (meaning whatever parts are lower in the water column.)

Try here

for a great deal and they have a lot of other nice things for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom