Experienced diver...feel like a nervous newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've once bought a 12mm hood, hoping it would make me warmer, the damned thing made me feel so very uncomfortable and claustrophobic...

That also could have been the extra weightbelt you had wrapped around your head just to sink the hood... ;-)

I experienced a similar situation when moving to Alaska about 15 years ago. Most of my hundreds of dives had been in southern California, Monterey, some in the pac nw. But all had been done with a wetsuit with very professional buddies, in areas which I knew pretty well. Moving to AK where I had to dive in a drysuit, (not just get certified in one in a pond in Virginia) in very remote areas under very unfamiliar conditions. After a while, the butterflies took flight to warmer climates. Your experience is fairly normal.

Generally diving in a new area for any diver regardless of experience is a little stressful. It's OK to thumb a dive don't worry. With more experience diving in the PNW you'll get used to it. Where you are diving is a significant change from where you were - acclimation time is to be expected.

I bailed on a dive that I had ~$700 worth of dive specific gas invested into last year. Sometimes things just happen. The water will still be there when you are ready don't worry!

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom