Experienced diver...feel like a nervous newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I've been certified now for a little over three years, though dives typically occur every 1-2 months as I have a demanding job and busy travel schedule.
The issue I'm facing is that ever since I started diving in my current location (south Puget Sound in the vicinity of Tacoma-Olympia corridor), I've had some serious nerve issues that, despite my best efforts have led to physical symptoms of nausea and in at least two cases bailing on dives because of feelings of panic (though it should be noted that I maintain safe diving practices of safe ascent rates and safety stops) and a few aborted ones due to mental discomfort and physical issues like nausea, including my most recent which was an attempt at Day 2 of a rescue dive course (first day went well, strangely enough).

The frustrating thing is, prior to here I was diving in Korea, where I certified open, NITROX, deep dive, peak performance bouyancy, and advanced. I was pushing my limits safely, routinely conducting dives between 60-100 feet with little issue and very calmly. I keep my gear maintained, do pre-dive safety checks, and am physically very fit. I've never even had a dive inconvenience let alone an emergency, either personally because of equipment issues or a significant buddy issue, so there aren't any PTSD issues I can think of.
I think some of the issues revolve around the following:

Familiarity with dive group- I dived with the same group of instructors and people in Korea my whole time there, so there was a natural feeling of trust in my group I haven't felt here where I'm almost always diving with someone different as a buddy or instructor every time.

Different conditions- water temps were about the same, 50-60 degrees F, but the conditions in the south Puget Sound are notoriously difficult for inexperienced and average divers. Poor visibility, strong currents, wide tide differentials-conditions I rarely experienced in Korea. I've lost my buddy on more than one occasion in such conditions, drifted far away from the entrance point- and I'm not the only one. A bit disconcerting. Physically and mentally much more taxing, and the poor visibility in particular drives some of my nerve issues. I think this compounds with a slight task overloading as not only am I paying attention to the basics such as buoyancy control, depth, and air consumption but also underwater navigation and more focused buddy monitoring. Even when I try to take a few moments to center myself, I still feel overwhelmed by some level of unexplained fear that I have a hard time making go away, and makes me want to bolt to the surface despite my training and awareness of risk (and I have done this once here in the Sound, admittedly). This is especially true when I know I am even going to less than moderate recreational depths of 10-20 meters, and especially if knowing I will go to the deeper recreational depths of 30-40 meters. Even thinking about that now makes me feel mentally fearful and physically excited (like highly elevated heart rate and nausea), and at depth I become overwhelmed with fear and physical tension- again where when diving in Korea this was normal for me to dive at these depths and even having fun, moving over and under obstacles and the such.

As mentioned I'm unable to dive more frequently than about once or twice a month, and I know more frequency with a trusted buddy would probably help.

I should note that in at least a few cases the nerve issues manifested themselves on the second dive or day two of a series. In many cases my partners or instructors are patient, not pushing things up front or through the dive. But I still feel guilty knowing that I am shortening their dive day. I've never actually admitted it was nerves, attributing it to nausea or some other factor (which is sometime true).

I'm trying to figure out the best ways to overcome these issues. I'm wondering if there are any low-cost courses or specialty care providers (ie a psychiatrist familiar with dive stress issues) that can help me slowly and progressively get back into a normal advanced recreational diving comfort zone. I'd appreciate any advice and anyone who has experienced this how they worked through it. I love diving and NEED to enjoy it fully again. Thanks!

You're not the only one who has experienced this. In fact, I had the same feelings when I began my cave training. I knew I wanted to dive in caves, I just knew that I had to progress into the training and experience at my own(slower than many of my dive buddies) pace. I got past it and now love cave diving and look forward to my trips down to Florida for wet rocks. A couple of things that got me past the nerves were:

• Be honest with your dive buddies about what you're feeling. Don't pass it off as something it's not. If they're a worthy dive buddy they will allow you the extra time, do some more benign dives with you, or recommend an instructor that can help. If they're not willing to do any of these things, then you know that it's time to find different dive buddies.
  • Talk it over with an instructor who knows the local diving conditions. He or she has trained and certified divers in the same waters you are having issues in. They will know how you should proceed. Even if you have to pay an instructor to spend a few days in the water with you, it's a wise investment.
  • Ask if there are some more "chill" dive spots in the area to gradually work you into diving the stuff you want to dive. Local knowledge is worth its weight in gold.
I can't stress the point of being honest enough, don't worry about saving face. If someone judges you for it then you don't need them as a dive buddy. Life is stressful enough, diving shouldn't be.

I was the same way when I started out. I'd spend half the night before a dive up and nauseous just thinking about it. I certified in Grand Cayman and was incredibly nervous and lacking any confidence when I started diving at home. The cold and thicker exposure protection can create a lot of anxiety if you're not accustomed to it.

I joined a dive club and was open about my experience and nervousness after reading much advice here like Aaron has given. It took 1 1/2 seasons until I really felt confident, but everything will work out for you. Time and dives are a key ingredient, but having great dive buddies who are eager to work with you through nervousness is a tremendously helpful thing.

howdy and welcome from south Florida...i have no experience in diving in your part of the world or in cold water...but the above recommendations sound like a good start...you are normal diver and can get your therapy here instead of a high price psychologist...(smile and grin)...good luck and all will work out in the end. be patient with yourself.

Are you diving the same gear you dove in Korea?

How many dives have you done in your new area?

For what it's worth, I completed most of my dives in warm Caribbean waters with little to no current and great visibility. I rarely had to do anything other than set up my rental gear. Every time I return to do those same type of dives, I feel like I'm stepping into a well-worn shoe. Dives far outside of this profile? Strong currents, low visibility, colder water, choppy waves, shore dives...? I consider myself a newbie. I take things slow, sometimes very slow. I do a lot of double and triple checking of equipment. I don't push bottom time to the limit. My training and experience still kick in on these types of dives, but I am very aware that the environment is new or one that I don't have much experience with. In new situations, if at all possible, I would prefer to be with someone who has more experience because the last thing I want is to have miscommunication at 100+ feet with a fellow newb.

Also, if these new environment issues weren't present, do you think that you would enjoy the type of diving done in Puget Sound?

I like the idea of "chill" sites Dive Right In mentioned. We don't have the extreme conditions here that you may find, but cold, current at times, poor to very poor to no viz. I usually don't find these conditions taxing at all, mainly because most of my dives are REALLY shallow (15-30'--10m). I'm almost always an easy CESA from the surface and I know it. Maybe a few of these dives could help you with the nerves?

How many dives have you done in your new area?

For what it's worth, I completed most of my dives in warm Caribbean waters with little to no current and great visibility. I rarely had to do anything other than set up my rental gear. Every time I return to do those same type of dives, I feel like I'm stepping into a well-worn shoe. Dives far outside of this profile? Strong currents, low visibility, colder water, choppy waves, shore dives...? I consider myself a newbie. I take things slow, sometimes very slow. I do a lot of double and triple checking of equipment. I don't push bottom time to the limit. My training and experience still kick in on these types of dives, but I am very aware that the environment is new or one that I don't have much experience with. In new situations, if at all possible, I would prefer to be with someone who has more experience because the last thing I want is to have miscommunication at 100+ feet with a fellow newb.

Also, if these new environment issues weren't present, do you think that you would enjoy the type of diving done in Puget Sound?
Yes I think so. Up until my last dive in Korea I was loving every minute of it.

Your new drysuit, you say? Interesting. Do you feel completely comfortable in that suit? Do you have the bouyancy issues all worked out? Do you ever get squeeze?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom