Experienced shooters: Are you considering moving from strobes to video lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I've been shooting with traditional strobes for decades but more and more, I see serious shooters using video lights, even for still photography. I just got back from a trip to BC and of the five "serious" shooters there, three were using *k and 10K lights. In fairness, they were also shooting video which is not something I do. In addition, they all had multiple sets of lights since a charge couldn't survive a day's shooting.

It's not something I'm seriously considering, but I am curious...

If you are only shooting stills,a strobe will always stop motion,regardless of the ambient conditions.

if you're doubling with video then it makes sense. Very few 10k video lights are actually 10k, but even the ones that are are nowhere near as bright as a strobe. A video can serve the function of providing artificial light for still photography but a strobe can't provide artificial light for video so if you are planning on doing video then investing in one set of lights is a lot cheaper than both.
Also of note, especially with mirrorless, shooting video lights is infinitely easier than shooting with strobes because you can see your exposure in the viewfinder before you shoot which reduces chimping to check on the strobe power. Shooting with a video light is basically like shooting in daylight at the surface so it's much easier than trying to deal with flash/strobes.

Can I just vote NO on the behalf of everyone else in the ocean? I absolutely hate diving in proximity to people using video lights. It blinds everyone else in the vicinity and ruins your low light vision. The really obnoxious (careless) people swim around with their rig hanging behind them so the lights blind people both behind them and in front of them. ☀️🕶️:rant:

(is there a "get off my lawn" emoticon?)

Can I just vote NO on the behalf of everyone else in the ocean? I absolutely hate diving in proximity to people using video lights. It blinds everyone else in the vicinity and ruins your low light vision. The really obnoxious (careless) people swim around with their rig hanging behind them so the lights blind people both behind them and in front of them. ☀️🕶️:rant:

This “problem” could easily be resolved during a surface interval…

Agreed. looking at my pics from that week, it’s amazing how many are ruined because of a “hole” burned in the image by a 27 gagillion lumen light! If only they’d invent a really bright light that only comes on when you trigger the shutter! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Agreed. looking at my pics from that week, it’s amazing how many are ruined because of a “hole” burned in the image by a 27 gagillion lumen light! If only they’d invent a really bright light that only comes on when you trigger the shutter! 🤷🏼‍♂️
My wife shoots video with a Paralenz and no lights, and she complains about the red flashes from my strobes :wink:

Totally agree with @davehicks

I have similar issues with people who blind the critters with their video lights, this stresses some subjects, especially seahorses, and I don't hesitate in letting them know. A much stick comes in handy, and if there was only a way to electrify it 🤔

If only they’d invent a really bright light that only comes on when you trigger the shutter!
Such devices have been around for a while.

Flash powder was used in Flash Lamps which were introduced in 1899.

Flash Bulbs were first manufactured by GE in 1927.

The first Electronic Flash was developed by Harold Egerton in 1931.

Such devices have been around for a while.

Flash powder was used in Flash Lamps which were introduced in 1899.

Flash Bulbs were first manufactured by GE in 1927.

The first Electronic Flash was developed by Harold Egerton in 1931.
Really? Where can we buy one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom