experiences with new Canon D20?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some diver feedback on the new Canon D20, especially with an WP-DC-45 housing and a strobe. Would love to see peoples' pics, even with just the straight camera underwater.

Also looking for feedback on battery life.

Ok, I'll take a swing at this. Basically zippo dive/UW photo experience so grain of salt here (some 50 years ago, certified 1978 and not a tank on since until we set up for a medical mission trip to the Solomon Islands and went through total start from scratch refresher). Was looking for something to take and decision was between the D20 and a Sealife DC1400. Finally cost plus perhaps better out of water performance/ease of use and carry of the D20 led me in that direction. Figured if really got into both the diving and the under water photography more could then go to better equipment. And a housing is to be available ( I think was not at the outset but it costs as much as the camera. I bought the camera online ($329) through a local (for delivery as did it 3 days before we left) retailer on 5/15 so it was out about 2 weeks. Didn't have time to read the full manual so was playing operation by ear mostly.
The camera performed flawlessly throughout. Made 4 dives (one had to be cancelled for illness) on our trip. Camera "certified" to 10 meters. I sort of semi accidently found myself at 15m one time and no problems. Frequently went to 13m. No leaks and worked at that depth. Optical zoom is nice and gives nice clear pictures. If you go past that into digital zoom area thing get grainy. Though not sure I could really tell (camera probably recorded the settings but I just got home and barely have looked at them) the underwater color balance setting did seem to give pretty decent color rendition, at least at the depths I went too. ( I know this is an issue but no experience to judge by). When I get some time will try to pick out a few photos to post but I can't now.
Charged the battery before I left and I know took couple hundred shots and some video on that first charge. I had some trouble with a power converter (220to 110) that I think fooled the electronics in the battery charger and it didn't fully recharge the batter so on a couple of dives and on land once the battery died mid session. I then figured that with adapter could plug the charger in direct and then it propery charged the battery and I went the rest of the trip with no problems and a week between charges taking the usual tourist type shots for the rest of our (non diving) trip. I would think this is good battery life.
So, all in all, I am very pleased with it. Does it take professional quality photos of stuff costing $1000's. Don't think so but it worked for me. There were times when I wanted the better depth ability (my wife was down at 29m one time) but the good stuff was shallow anyway. If we had been able to do any wreck diving (the cancelled trip included a sunken trawler and a WWII P-38 fighter I really wanted to see) the deeper ability would be needed. So I will need to decide between getting a case for it or something different entirely.
Will try to put up some photos when I get time and figure how to do it.

Jack

Being that you're going to need an underwater case anyway, I would go with something different. I'm not saying there is anything bad with the D20 but for another $50 I'd go with something proven like the S95 that everyone seems to have great luck with.

32.gif

1. The camera does not have manual setting capability such as M, Tv and Av modes which can be important for underwater use.
2. The camera does not have RAW capability which is of significant importance for white balance post-processing of non-strobe shots.
3. It does have "custom" white balance which is a lesser substitute for RAW when it comes to white balance adjustment on non-strobe shots. You would have to calibrate your white balance off a white slate or card at varying depths and ambient light conditions. The "custom" white balance setting will yield better results than the "underwater" setting".

IMO the cost of adding an external strobe to this camera will be an overkill compared to the camera's capabilities.

I will try to attach here a few shots. The Last one is a Slender Rotoastra nudibranch and is about 1" long. The camera was about 2" off the bottom or thereabouts. It was right at the end of my dive and was having trouble staying down and steady (not enough weight). The above comentators are of course correct. You want professional quality stuff and deeper capability, go somewhere else. The first three were snorkeling, the last 6 were 5-10m.
U1.jpgU2.jpgU3.jpgU4.jpgU5.jpgU6.jpgU7.jpgU8.jpgU9.jpg

Jack

Initially I bought a Nikon AW100. That did fine for a snorkel test, but on a 15ft dive it leaked within 1/2 hour.

Just got the D20 and had it at 20ft for 1.5 hours yesterday with no leaks! Used 1/2 batttery (GPS off) and shot 230 pics/videos. It was clear and sunny above and I noticed most of my shots were a bit bright, so I'll dial that back a bit. I also didn't set WB. Overall not bad for jumping straight to underwater/underwater macro and shooting. The only touching up I do is in Picasa (I'm feeling lucky, auto contrast, auto color and maybe some cropping).

IMG_0179.jpgIMG_0190.jpgIMG_0191.jpgIMG_0205.jpgIMG_0227.jpgIMG_0229.jpgIMG_0233.jpgIMG_0249.jpgIMG_0275.jpgIMG_0288.jpgIMG_0292.jpgIMG_0302.jpgIMG_0306.jpg

For my needs above and below the surface I couldn't be happier. I'm sure a housing is in my future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom