Experimenting with a beanie to help regulate body temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Next month we're going on a dive trip where the water temp will be around 82+/-. I'd love to skip wearing my 3m wetsuit but I can count on not staying warm enough, especially as we go through the week. Since we lose 20-40% of our heat through our scalp I was thinking about wearing a rash guard and swimsuit and adding a 3m beanie. Has anyone else tried this with any success? I don't want to leave my wetsuit at home without some testimony to this actually working (don't worry, I won't blame anyone if it doesn't work for me). A 3m doesn't take up a ton of space, but every little bit of packing space counts.

Personally I still use a 3mm suit if I am doing a lot repeat diving as body core temperature will drop with repetitive dives, plus I get cold easily as I usually don't move much if taking photographs.

I have used a beanie in the past and they work although I prefer a hood.

Why not look at a hooded vest as an option with a skin.

I have used a beanie with my 3mm and got overheated in Roatan.

I also have a pair of Lavacore pants and a sleeveless vest, I like to keep things covered from stingy things. I wear a long sleeved skin under the vest. I wore a beanie for some of those dives too but didn't really need it and took it off. I did this when on Grand Cayman in December. According to my log book the water temps were 80-82 in both instances. Never tried going without any protection and a beanie though.

That is just my experience, YMMV as everybody has different tolerances to temperature in the water.

Re the study, it makes sense. If the only part of your body uncovered is your head it almost doesn't matter HOW much heat you're losing, you're losing in through your head! I am a chilli-willi so I will be taking my 3 mil.

Thanks for the responses. And btw, I read a study recently that said that if you burn the same amount of calories as you consume, but you consume those calories at NIGHT, you will GAIN weight! I know. It sounds completely illogical. Now I guess I'll have to go find that study ... found the article ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...late-night-DOES-make-fat-researchers-say.html

I'm not sure a rash guard provides any warmth. In 31 deg. C water (~87 deg. F), we could still feel various thermoclines. Maybe just a vest, hoodie, gloves and booties?

I’m with Searcaigh. A thin suit not only protects your core temperature but also provides sunburn, sting, and abrasion protection. I tend to bias my thermal protection strategy below the neck and add a hood if I feel chilled. Also consider the possibility of being lost a sea.

Last edited:
Next month we're going on a dive trip where the water temp will be around 82+/-. I'd love to skip wearing my 3m wetsuit but I can count on not staying warm enough, especially as we go through the week. Since we lose 20-40% of our heat through our scalp I was thinking about wearing a rash guard and swimsuit and adding a 3m beanie. Has anyone else tried this with any success? I don't want to leave my wetsuit at home without some testimony to this actually working (don't worry, I won't blame anyone if it doesn't work for me). A 3m doesn't take up a ton of space, but every little bit of packing space counts.

At 82 degrees, I would wear my full 3 mm and would likely be very comfortable. I would have my 5/3 mm hooded vest with me if I got cold and/or for 3rd and 4th dives per day. I add the hooded vest to both my 3 mm and 5 mm full suits to fit the environment, for me good to about 70 degrees. I have used a bunch of beanies and hoods over the years, don't use them any more.

I wear the correct full suit for the expected water temp and add the hooded vest as/if needed. Serves me well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom