Explorer 55# or 40# for AL80 doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's ok, I just picked up a used 40# wing from someone that didn't need it. At least I didn't have to pay full price...but I didn't get as good a deal as you did!

Not that I'm recommending doing this, but I just want to put it out there as having been done...

First, what kind of exposure suit are you wearing?
This will have an effect on your ballast/lift situation

Last week in the pool, I ended up with a hodge podge of equip to use (all resulting because I forgot to bring a DIN/Yoke adapter for my regs...).

I happened to have my doubles regs and my SS backplate, and there happened to be a set of double Al80's with DIN manifold... only problem was that the only wing I had was an 18# pioneer...

Well, with a 5mm wetsuit, the SS backplate, and no additional weight, the 18#'s of lift was enough for me to keep me at the surface when I wanted to be, let me descend when I wanted to, and keep me neutral at the 13' bottom.

(Although, the position of the OPV on the singles wing doesn't fit nicely with doubles... I kinda had to 'convince' it to get on... )

anyway, the point... I'm sure anything in the 40# range will be more than enough for double Al80's.

Sometimes I will dive dry and sometimes I will wear a 5mm wetsuit sometimes with gloves sometimes with a hood sometimes with a hooded vest (you get the point...)..

I am sure it is going to be enough lift...just wanted to hash it out in the off chance that I could make do with one wing.

Back
Top Bottom