Explorer 55# or 40# for AL80 doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...
How non "PC" is it of me to repost the replies here if I strip out the authors? I will be glad to share...I saved the best ones...

--E

Probably very non-PC. Those Quest folks are touchy.

I will tell you what my new friends told me :wink: and just pass along the knowledge that they passed on to me..

On one hand, the 55# seems manageable, but the 40# is perfect for double AL80s. The 40# is the right tool for the job, but you can get by with the 55#. Since there isn't really one tool for both jobs (steels and al80s), I would be better off with the 40#.

On the other hand, the 45# wing would be perfect, but Halcyon stopped making it so they could sell me a 40# and a 55#.

I know a guy :wink: that told me that his 40# would hold his head above water with double 120s. The 55# would be better here, but the 40# will work with small steels as well. He thinks I would be happier with the 40# and only consider the 55# if I am really going to go to 104s.

Another dude I just met :wink: went through DIRF recently and he said that the 55# with AL80s was messing his trim up badly. He went to a 40# for his AL80s and a 55# for his steels and the problem went away.

Another guy I met recently :wink: said that Halcyon wants to sell me two wings and I should just get the 55#.

The most helpful friend I just met :wink: told me that the 55# will work fine, but I may have to reach back and flatten the wing out with my hands to allow the air to redistribute. He placed another vote for the elusive 45# wing...but also said that if I couldn't find one he would go with the 55# wing and just do the "pull down" trick if necessary rather than buy two wings.

Those are some helpful friends you got! :wink:

Dang...the luck I have. I just ran into a guy on Pennsylvania Avenue :wink: that told me the following:

The 40# wing is actually pretty lifty (more like 50-55 lbs of lift) and that it is great for Al80s even with multiple stages, scooter, and big can light (I have a heavy monster of a light, btw). He said the 55 is just too damn big for 80s and that I should definitely get the 40.

Provided you're not going to dive large steels or very deep water these guys are probably right. I dove a 40 lb wing with 104s in 260' and it was marginal at best. I got the feeling it would have been marginal with 80s at that depth too.

Tom

Provided you're not going to dive large steels or very deep water these guys are probably right. I dove a 40 lb wing with 104s in 260' and it was marginal at best. I got the feeling it would have been marginal with 80s at that depth too.

260 is a long way off for me though :) Next time you are down that far, try a fin pivot and let me know how the wing works out :wink:

260? Is that in inches? I know we are not talking past the recommended recreational depth maximum of 130', right?

O-ring once bubbled...

260 is a long way off for me though :) Next time you are down that far, try a fin pivot and let me know how the wing works out :wink:

Heh, been awhile since I've done a fin pivot at any depth!

Yea, with GUE you need Tech 2 to go to that depth, or is it Tech 3? I suspect you'll get there eventually. You're taking the safest route.

Tom

I picked up one of those elusive 45's on ebay a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't too sure about it...couldn't find too much discussion about it... but for the price, I couldn't resist. Your friends are making me feel better about my purchase

Actually, I just talked to someone that said it sucked and you should definitely get a new 55# wing and sell me your 45# wing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom