exploring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siilverback

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just finished Caverns Measureless To Man. I'm interested in getting Cave Diving certified for two reasons. One I find the pictures of the caves stunning and I love diving. second I want to explore and discover. After reading the book it sounds like everything is mapped. Are there any caves left in Florida that Sheck Exley and his friends did not map to their end?

Miles and miles of them..........
see you topside! John

I just finished Caverns Measureless To Man. I'm interested in getting Cave Diving certified for two reasons. One I find the pictures of the caves stunning and I love diving. second I want to explore and discover. After reading the book it sounds like everything is mapped. Are there any caves left in Florida that Sheck Exley and his friends did not map to their end?
Just this year there has been new line laid at Devils (Ginnie), one of the most popular systems in FL. Then you have the world record Wakulla dive of a 37,000ft traverse, and recently adding over 8000 ft to another line. There's also Weeki Wachee springs that has had new line laid in it recently. These are known systems that we know for a fact Exley dove. Then you've got systems closed off to the public where people are doing sneak dives, river caves, and areas where access is still being fought for.

Most of us who take a cave course will never lay new line....and I'm fine with that. Going into the Gallery @ Devils and watching an exiting team get up high, HID's beaming down, and hovering motionless up in the ceiling is one of the coolest things I've ever experienced, and that's <200ft from the entrance. Even if every cave diver ever certified has been there, you're still going to enjoy it just as much, and when you think about it, every cave diver is STILL a very small portion of the population.

Yes, most of us will never lay line, but there's still an incredible feeling of exploration in taking a passage you haven't seen before. As my husband put it, there are areas of cave he's been in where fewer people have seen them than have been in space!

Yes, most of us will never lay line, but there's still an incredible feeling of exploration in taking a passage you haven't seen before. As my husband put it, there are areas of cave he's been in where fewer people have seen them than have been in space!

as long as it's new to me I'm good
:)

Most of us who take a cave course will never lay new line....and I'm fine with that. Going into the Gallery @ Devils and watching an exiting team get up high, HID's beaming down, and hovering motionless up in the ceiling is one of the coolest things I've ever experienced, and that's <200ft from the entrance. Even if every cave diver ever certified has been there, you're still going to enjoy it just as much, and when you think about it, every cave diver is STILL a very small portion of the population.

Great point, and thanks for that visual. I can't wait to get back down there and experience that again. There is something about descending into a cave, even if it's one where you know a ton of people have already seen that really does make you feel like you're seeing beyond the looking glass.

Exploration opportunities are abound every where. There is one popular cave system that has basically doubled in size in the last 2 years. I have an unexplored sink that lays in direct path of a large cave system,but I am just waiting for the water to clear up. These are easy explorations,but there are some cave systems that have terminated because technology hasn't allowed them to be pushed until now.

Well known systems still have many leads that have yet to be surveyed and lined. Many times I find for me new areas I eagerly explore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom