Exposure protection: Belize Barrier Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jt83

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm diving the Belize Barrier reef at a cruise stop in late January, the 25th to be exact. What should I be using as far as exposure protection? Will a rash guard and trunks cut it, or should I be looking to rent a shorty? It is 2 dives with at least an hour surface interval.

Rashguard & shorts is fine for many people. If there's a cold front (as at present) it might be a bit cool out of the water, especially when wet, so some form of lightweight windproof jacket is a good idea. People who feel the cold might go as far as a 5mm/3mm, and most rental suits are just 3mm. A well fitting 3mm would probably do for most people. If I wear a suit it's always long-long - I don't use shorties. But mostly I use shorts/rashguard.

I used a rash guard the whole time, even down to 113ft I was comfortable. My father wore a 3mm shorty. The dive masters just went with swim trunks. I did bring a 3mm shorty with me, though I only wore it after I got out of the water on a night dive.

Now that I think about it this is the least amount of protection I have ever used. Normally iI wear 12mm core 5mm top and 7mm bottom. You need a bit of protection when diving in cold water up here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom