Exposure Protection for Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachlawyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
during week of sept. 22-26? If I do not tend to be cold natured even in quarries, etc, could I do a 2 tank boat dive off Monterey during this time in a Pinnacle Elastoprene with Merino wool lining 5mm full suit with matching hood? I just bought this suit (rather expensive) for diving in local NC quarries as it gets colder, but I haven't gotten it wet yet. The shop owner said his kept him warmer than his 7mm neoprene suit, and not quite as bulky..I have NO interest in a dry suit, btw. If anyone has any feedback, it would be much appreciated...I know a 7mm or a drysuit are normally recc...Just trying to determine if I need to take back and exchange for the exact same model but in a 7mm...Anyone with expereince have any input? Will also post this in Exposure suit forum.

I have done three to four repetitive dives in a day with a 7mm Elastaprine-merino jumpsuit with 7mm/3mm hooded vest (4mm gloves) during Sept in Monterey and been very comfortable. But I think a 5mm would not be enough, even in Sept when the water is not quite as cold as it is in April/May.

However, I'd be hesitant to dump the 5mm if that is the right exposure protection for the sites you regularly dive in favor of a 7mm suit you'll use one day in Monterey. Is it possible to rent a 7mm suit for your Monterey dives?

How susceptible are you to cold? That will determine a lot. I have been diving Monterey and environs all summer in a 7mm Henderson hyperstretch with a 1mm dive skin underneath (for comfort, not thermal protection) and haven't gotten cold once. I have a dry suit, but haven't found any particular need to use it here, and truthfully, I could probably get along well in your 5mm suit. Then again, I was diving wet in Puget Sound last winter when the water temp was 48 degrees and didn't usually get cold. What you need depends more on you than on the suit. I've met divers here who only dive dry because they get cold in anything wet, and I've met other divers like me would could probably do a 20 minute dive without a suit at all. What's your metabolism like? That's the main thing you need to know. I use 3mm booties and 1mm tropical gloves without problems, which baffles some people.

If, as you say, you don't get cold in quarries and such, you probably won't need much more than what you have, if anything. What was the temperature like in those quarries? Water temps around here have been running between 55 and 60, though at times we've met a pretty sharp thermocline down around 22 feet that dropped it to 52 degrees. Hopefully that info will help you decide.

I appreciate all the replies...I may try and rent a 7 mm for Monterey...But I travel to Nor Cal 3-4x's a year and SoCal at least 2x year, so I'd like a suit that would do in the quarry here, but also appropriate in Monterey and Catalina...Thanks for the input..I wear a 3/2 with beanie and 5mm booties and summer gloves in our quarry where water can be at depth from mid-50-upper 40's In August, and I have been fine...I am not nearl as cold natured as alomst everybody else on every dive boat I've been on...I am just trying to get an idea which 5mm or 7mm would be best cuz they are kinda expensive....;0)

It does help because our local quarry is between 50-60 at depth (30-60') and colder than that if doing a deep dive, and I have worn my 1mm with skin all but once, and that was to try my 3/2 to get my weighting right....Not cold at all..everybody else has hoods and 3/2's with layers so with the temp range you stated, I think I'm going to stick with the 5m. Thank you so much for the info.:D

How susceptible are you to cold? That will determine a lot. I have been diving Monterey and environs all summer in a 7mm Henderson hyperstretch with a 1mm dive skin underneath (for comfort, not thermal protection) and haven't gotten cold once. I have a dry suit, but haven't found any particular need to use it here, and truthfully, I could probably get along well in your 5mm suit. Then again, I was diving wet in Puget Sound last winter when the water temp was 48 degrees and didn't usually get cold. What you need depends more on you than on the suit. I've met divers here who only dive dry because they get cold in anything wet, and I've met other divers like me would could probably do a 20 minute dive without a suit at all. What's your metabolism like? That's the main thing you need to know. I use 3mm booties and 1mm tropical gloves without problems, which baffles some people.

If, as you say, you don't get cold in quarries and such, you probably won't need much more than what you have, if anything. What was the temperature like in those quarries? Water temps around here have been running between 55 and 60, though at times we've met a pretty sharp thermocline down around 22 feet that dropped it to 52 degrees. Hopefully that info will help you decide.

It does help because our local quarry is between 50-60 at depth (30-60') and colder than that if doing a deep dive, and I have worn my 1mm with skin all but once, and that was to try my 3/2 to get my weighting right....Not cold at all..everybody else has hoods and 3/2's with layers so with the temp range you stated, I think I'm going to stick with the 5m. Thank you so much for the info.:D

Happy to be of service. Divers helping divers, that's what it's all about (contrary to the phony claims by the Hokey Pokey!).

I have alway dove in a wet suit in Monterey ,,I love them...but 5mm is not enough protection...you need 7mm..you will get cold in a 5...some folks use thinner gloves and booties..but I still use a 6.5mm gloves and booties to stay warm...I just started using the womens Xcel cold water wetsuit from hawaii...it is one piece with attached hood..it is not a semi dry suit but when I came up from my first dive i was still dry in my core area...I didnt get fully wet till my 2nd dive and didnt feel any chill till my 3rd...This is probally the best wetsuit I have ever owned and I've owned many in my 34yrs of diving monterey

BL -

I replied to a similar question on the Pinnacle/manufactureers section of this forum. MikeG also posted there and in other sections you can search. He dives the ME7 + ME7/3vest and sometimes the torso warmer.

I purchased the Element in June and really love this suit. I used it in Monterey [~ 48 degrees] with the ME7mm/3mm hooded vest + ME7mm Baracuda boots and never was cold during four dives/2 days except around my lips where the hood did not cover. I was hot on the surface swims and was practically dry between dives. You do need to burp it to get the air out to sink, but i was warm again within a minute. It is also 7mm and ME throughout. I can undo the back zip without help, but still need some tucking to get it zipped up. I tried it in 65 degree water without the vest and it was perfect.

It is incredibly more flexible and warm than the two piece farmer john 7mm wetsuit that I used to dive. The only downside that I have is the neck seal chokes me. I hope this will lessen with more dives. Someone suggested to store it with a volleyball inflated to my neck size to stretch it out - sounds reasonable.

My experience is the 5mm will not be enough for multiple dives, but everyone has their own temp sensitivity.

I hope this was of help,
cddfamily

I'll chime in since I was mentioned by a fellow diver. He is correct that I dove that combination. In fact, I always dive all three never just two. I also dive the 6mm Apex Merino boots and the 4mm Merino Kevlar gloves.

My hands suffer in 48-50 degrees of water even on the first dive after 20 minutes they start to get cold. By the second dive they are troubled again and by the third I'm very cold in the hands.

My feet have never had any problems whatsoever, in fact I can feel them warm the entire dive minus the entry. My torso stays very comfortable all three dives in 48-50 degrees. They only thing that starts to bother me is my arms which are only protected at 7mm. My legs are stronger than my arms so I don't feel cold there.

I went diving just last weekend and it was 54 degrees and let me tell you I was so nice and toasty the entire time and I descended to 65 feet for about 25 minutes. Even my hands remained warm all the way to depth.

On my second dive it was the same but I only went to 45 feet. This shows me how much a difference 4-5 degrees makes, I've never dove 54 degrees and it felt great in a wetsuit I would do it again in a heart beat.

I don't like to dive 48 degrees at Monterey in a wetsuit it's just uncomfortable unless you are constantly moving and even moving you get cold.

I prefer comfort over stamina so you must think of that as well.

The ME-5 will protect you for a while since it has the Merino but as you continue and move to deeper areas you might get uncomfortable and want to abort your dive sooner because of the compression on the suit.

If you can get the 7mm go for it as it will give you utmost comfort for the days your travel to Monterey.

Anyway, I hope this helps out...

I just purchased yesterday the DUI CLX450 and can hardly wait to get drysuit certified....

MG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom