Exposure Protection Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And for all the time in between, consider investing in a Surf-fur coat. They're reversible after you get one side wet, and keep you warm, and you can change under them...fantastic!
Best scuba gift I've gotten in a long time. But not cheap. Heading back to Monterey next weekend!

The Original Water Parka

This is very far from the truth. Even in Summer, NorCal water is unlikely to be above 60s. OP should assume the water temp to be 50-55, more likely to be on the lower side. If you have a good fitted wetsuit, you can get away with 7mm. A lot of people and OW student do 7mm + 5mm hood vest. A good amount will have 7mm+7mm farmer john + jacket. You will definitely need a thick hood and reasonable thick gloves. Shore dives coldness will be easier to handle. Boat dives need to take into account for wind chill in surface interval. Bring warm water for drinking and towel or jacket for surface.

If possible, definitely rent a drysuit.

Well, given that I suggested using pretty much the same exposure protection as you did I guess I was not very far from the truth. Maybe just far from the truth. Or if you are feeling magnanimous, in the ballpark of the truth. Although, in this day and age, what is truth? And whose truth? In fact, I was very close to my truth, just not your truth. One thing I know to be true, you couldn't get me to dive in water below 70 degrees (was 86 on my GC dive today, and I still used my 5mm). I'm feeling better now that we've sorted this out. :)

Glad to hear you get to come to Monterey and enjoy some beautiful diving. I live just a couple hours from there so that is where my wife and I dive most, in fact we are heading over there this weekend.

I prefer a semi-dry it keeps me plenty warm, sometimes too warm but I like the cold and have a nice layer of "personal insulation" :D My wife is not a fan of the cold and she loves the semi-dry.
This is the one we use Hollis NeoTek Men's Semidry 8/7/6mm Suit

You can also take a look at this thread to find information on Monterey conditions Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Wet, semi, and dry suits are all available for rent in Monterey
Have a great time and keep us posted on how it goes.
when are you planning on going?
I’m going in 2 weeks...thanks for the recommendations

This is very far from the truth. Even in Summer, NorCal water is unlikely to be above 60s. OP should assume the water temp to be 50-55, more likely to be on the lower side. If you have a good fitted wetsuit, you can get away with 7mm. A lot of people and OW student do 7mm + 5mm hood vest. A good amount will have 7mm+7mm farmer john + jacket. You will definitely need a thick hood and reasonable thick gloves. Shore dives coldness will be easier to handle. Boat dives need to take into account for wind chill in surface interval. Bring warm water for drinking and towel or jacket for surface.

If possible, definitely rent a drysuit.
Alright thanks

And for all the time in between, consider investing in a Surf-fur coat. They're reversible after you get one side wet, and keep you warm, and you can change under them...fantastic!
Best scuba gift I've gotten in a long time. But not cheap. Heading back to Monterey next weekend!

The Original Water Parka
I’ll check it out

Back
Top Bottom