F2 Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies guys/girls(?) just the info I was looking for much appreciated. Would also be very interested in anyone's thoughts/impressions after getting them wet. Cheers.

Thanks for the replies guys/girls(?) just the info I was looking for much appreciated. Would also be very interested in anyone's thoughts/impressions after getting them wet. Cheers.

I dove them in the FL a couple of weeks ago. Took them for a spin in Blue Grotto, and then took them about 1200 ft back in Ginnie while diving the Prism 2.

First impressions:
LIGHT
Comfortable
Love the spring strap
Not as much thrust as the F1 (obviously)
More stable (tracking) than they look... but again, not quite as stable as the F1

Overall I like them for travel, wetsuit diving etc. Keep in mind they are not trying to replace the F1- they are a different fin. That being said, I could see some people making the switch and going with the F2 for everything.

Anyone else been in the water with them yet? I, too, and curious to hear what other people think.

I dove them in the FL a couple of weeks ago. Took them for a spin in Blue Grotto, and then took them about 1200 ft back in Ginnie while diving the Prism 2.

First impressions:
LIGHT
Comfortable
Love the spring strap
Not as much thrust as the F1 (obviously)
More stable (tracking) than they look... but again, not quite as stable as the F1

Overall I like them for travel, wetsuit diving etc. Keep in mind they are not trying to replace the F1- they are a different fin. That being said, I could see some people making the switch and going with the F2 for everything.

Anyone else been in the water with them yet? I, too, and curious to hear what other people think.

Thanks for the reply. I figured size and construction would have some limitations there's always a trade off. I'm looking at them primarily for tropical travel diving, so want something light, small and robust (a broken fin on a live-aboard I do not want) these fins look like they might just fit the bill. I've sent you an email. Cheers

Sent Hollis an email but they didn't reply, have asked numerous questions prior to the release on this forum about these fins but Hollis did not to reply. Must say as much I am interested in these fins the lack of response is rather disappointing. I want some travel fins in the next 6 weeks for a trip. I would have thought manufacturers would be assisting customers where possible. I own other Hollis gear and think it is quality gear but customer service in my experience has a been a little poor. Unfortunately it is often only customer service that separates manufacturers as many make quality products. Nick if you're out there a response would be appreciated. Thank you.
Im here! Sorry for the delay, I personally haven't been checking the Scubaboard family as much but will be more often. The F2 is considerably lighter than the F1 weighing in at only 1.9lbs/each with the springs installed. F1's each weigh 3.5lbs. Makes the F2 a nice option for anyone with the traditional heavy paddle that would like to reduce heavy feet or weight in their bag!

Any opinions on ease/difficulty off these F2 fins with different kicks? Flutter, Frog, Reverse, Helicopter?

Any opinions on ease/difficulty off these F2 fins with different kicks? Flutter, Frog, Reverse, Helicopter?

I believe these fins to be the same as the APS Mantaray fins, Hollis has not said otherwise, if you do a search on those fins there are some reviews giving info on different kicking styles.

The F2 is a similar design to the APS Mantaray as Hollis now produces the fin, with some obvious changes. Material is now stiffer than the older Mantaray's and Six Gill's, we have also modified the tooling to include the F1 spring heel strap design. Its a solid fin that allows a wide variety of kicking styles. Personally my first question was thrust! However the F2 exceeded our expectations. Helicopter, Flutter and even Frog produce a nice stable kick with lots of thrust. Dont expect the same as the F1, there are some compromises with a smaller/shorter fin blade.

Foot Pocket? Same design as the F1 ? I've been using my Slipsteams when i travel simply because of the weight differential but I sure as hell prefer the foot pocket of my F1's over the Slips.

One of the common "complaints" about the APS Mantarays that I read was that they were a little "floppy" so hearing from Nick that the Hollis F2s are stiffer could be an improvement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom