Faber steel tanks... fragile DIN/Yoke valve!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fibonacci

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just a heads-up on one negative aspect about those very handy convertible DIN/Yoke valves as fitted to Faber steel tanks.

In Australia, they are Italian San-o-Sub brand and very good quality... the spin-out inserts are usually stainless. HOWEVER the upper wall of the brass valve body is quite thin and more fragile than they look.

The valve on this 15L Faber was damaged when it slid forward during a hard stop, hitting a steel support in the tray of the vehicle. Lesson learned about mass and deceleration!
So while it still works fine as a yoke valve (o-ring sealing surface not distorted) the DIN insert is now solidly crimped in place and won't budge!

Now out shopping for a new valve :(

Faber 15L_3.jpg

Last edited:
Saw the same thing from a tank falling over, this one did not have the PRO valve insert installed at the time. It caused the DIN thread to go oval and destroyed the valve.

Hi Fibonacci,
Sorry to hear about the damaged valve, but
Can I ask what few, what be dumb, questions please.

1. How hard was the deceleration, and is it a steel tray, did the tank have boot on it, or was it steel on steel?
2. Was the tank secured in any way, and how much movement was there ?
3. Do you normally transport cylinders with the valve facing forward,?
Thanks

It was an unexpected emergency stop.
I hadn't transported a heavy 15L tank before and thought it was OK.
Not strapped just wedged between some other gear... it probably moved about 100mm forward and just clipped the end.
Normally I position tanks the other way round with the base and boot facing forward... not this time :shakehead:

Last edited:
Thanks,
I have a Magna wagon with carpet in the cargo bay and a crash barrier, I do what you normally do and put the base of the tanks against the crash barrier. I am thinking of changing to a dual cab ute and was interested if the metal tray may be a problem. Thinking about it though acceleration is unlikely to a problem, my issue is going to if I get lazy and leave the tanks near the tailgate, and not pushed all the way against a fixed barrier.

Thanks again

The valve on this 15L Faber was damaged when it slid forward during a hard stop, hitting a steel support in the tray of the vehicle.
This is why I always stow my tanks with the valve towards the back of the trunk and the bottom firmly against a solid stop. And then either strapping them down or stacking my gear on top of them.

Back
Top Bottom