Fail! Weekend Certify-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GI0Ria

Contributor
Reaction score
This last weekend in Feb. I went to do my Open Water Certify in Monterey. First off I wasn't notified by my Dive Shop that I was going to have to carry all my equipment and six tanks from Sacramento to Monterey in my Mustang. I went to exchange a mask 2 days before we left for Monterey, turned around to leave and learned I was forgetting all my gear. We were not informed that we wouldn't have time between dives to go get something to eat, so to bring food/ice chests etc... as well chairs/tarps, to lay out our gear. Once we got to the location in Monterey, it was raining- enough said. First dive I was left by myself on the top of the water still swimming to the float where my son waited for me, however all the instructors and the dive master was already down doing check offs. I was feeling a little clostophobic in the hood, first time I had one on, and a little anxiety because i was still swimming, my son looking down saying he couldn't see anyone. As I approached the float an instructor surfaced and told me to hurry and dove back down said he was going to check off some kids. By that time i was almost at hyperventilate stage, I got to the float and rested til i felt comfortable enough to go down, when an instructor surfaced I went down, however- it wasn't my buddy. The next dive my son and I were left on top of the water again and we were lost for about 5 mins. When they finally surfaced and we came out of the water my son was so sick from being nervous we couldn't do our last dive of the day. The following day- I had a different person/instructor helping me into swells around 10ft, it was during high tide, long story short I got flipped on my back, and got blamed for basically us getting hit by the wave. My finger was cut open bleeding all over- I didn't dive any further, my son finished two more dives. But didn't dive the last dive. The whole experience was HORRIBLE. What is more horrifying is I got to go back out there with this dive shop to finish my dives to certify. PLEASE if you are a new diver, ASK about every single detail of what is going to be expected of you with the equipment, and what is expected of you at the Ocean, and what you should bring to help with your comfort, if it is a all day thing. This was so awful, I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone. ** Please note*** I loved being under water it was awesome, --- just pick your people wisely!!

Last edited:
I am so sorry that your first experience turned out this way, it sounds awful. Take a few deep breaths, go back to the shop and discuss your experience with the most senior person on the instructional staff that you can find, I'm sure that they'll find a way to make your next experience a better one.

Sounds pretty bad...after you get your cert, post the name of the outfit so that others can be aware and these guys can clean up their act. We don't all dive with the same confidence/skills and they need to be more accommodating. Good thing you waited till you were relaxed...

Gloria,

Sounds like a complete nightmare and a pathetic bunch of instructors you had there.

If I experienced anything similar to that I would definetly name and shame the shop !

Hope your next attempt leads to more professionalism in the instruction.

Regards

unfortunately the most senior person was the person who left me up top the first time I was in the Ocean. I agree with you, even though I have been already letting them know I don't feel safe- that was my reasoning to them why I didn't dive the rest of the day Sunday. When I take back this gear I will be re-visiting my experience with them, thanks for the response,

Sounds pretty bad...after you get your cert, post the name of the outfit so that others can be aware and these guys can clean up their act. We don't all dive with the same confidence/skills and they need to be more accommodating. Good thing you waited till you were relaxed...

That is my plan-- I WILL post their Dive Shop name up-soon as I finish - If anyone knows anything I can do? I suppose I'm stuck with them - dreadful!

Most of the shops I have encountered have an "Open Water Checkout Fact Sheet" with instructions, directions to the divesite, a list of motels and a packing list of sorts... I'm suprised that they did not have something like this.

BTW how did you cut your hand? Did something cut thru the glove?

I was also there Sat and had a great time diving at the Breakwater

hrrrm... Sounds like a real workout.

I agree with the others in OUTING the outfit who is willing to provide such customer disservice, but please keep in mind scuba shops are a lot like car dealerships: there are a ton of them out there; no two are exactly alike and some are good and others .... um... not so much. Please do not let this experience discolour or discredit too badly the good experience you had underwater. When/if you run into the proverbial used car salesman and sheister mechanic at your first dealership remember if you walk a mile down the road, there will be another.

I would seriously consider talking to people on here from your home area. You might be surprised what you can find out about who and where to deal with for future courses. On the "HOME" page there is the map of the world; follow that route to find the board specific to your area and start looking through some posts. If you find a sympathetic group, it might be better (safer AND more enjoyable)for you and your son the next dive. Possibly more so than you could imagine with this experience as your frame of reference.

Best of luck
T

Most of the shops I have encountered have an "Open Water Checkout Fact Sheet" with instructions, directions to the divesite, a list of motels and a packing list of sorts... I'm suprised that they did not have something like this.

BTW how did you cut your hand? Did something cut thru the glove?

I was also there Sat and had a great time diving at the Breakwater

Great questions. Sat. the water was great- just more of a bad experience with the instructors, got left twice on top of the water out in the Ocean. It was Sunday we got tossed over in the water.
The dive master was diving without gloves and the instructor I was going in the water with had no gloves on. I thought I would put my gloves on after I put on my fins, but left them on accident on the shore. The instructor didn't notice I didn't have them. When we were in the water walking in I noticed I didn't have them and told him, but he got upset so I told him he didn't have to go back up to get them I would dive without them even though my hands were cold, so we continued on until we got hit by that wave that was probably close to or over 10ft. It was well over our heads. We both went under. A rock was behind me it tripped me up. I think the rock cut me. I'm not sure what else it could of been, we were in the middle of some rocks.

*Like I said I didn't know I was bringing the gear, so when I found out I asked for him to write me down things I needed to remember, he went and brought out the directions and the equipment checklist- however he didn't discuss the importance of the difference an ice chest would make in the day, (it wasn't on the list) or a tarp, (it wasn't on the list) a chair!! (not on list) Chair is key out there- u need somewhere to sit comfortably and eat, and need something to eat- etc...

All those little things add up to a great experience

As an instructor I am very disappointed to hear about your ordeal. I am suprised that they would put you in a hood in OW without having any experience in it prior to that time. I know that my insurance would definitely frown on me having a student use gear on an OW dive they had never gotten comfortable with in a pool.

One suggestion would be to get a referal form from your current dive shop and find one you are more comfortable with to complete your training. That way you do not lose credit for anything you have already done and will be under more competent instruction.

Good luck and I hope you have many years of enjoyable diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom