Fail! Weekend Certify-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not know the dive shop and have no idea which one it is...I reside in florida.

Nevertheless, I do think the shop should know and should have an opportunity to correct their wrongs. I also think they should have an opportunity to respond on SB (if their identity is revealed).

The DM, in my opinion, should have been more direct in his supervision and your instructors/staff should have been a lot clearer in their directions/logistics.

I left the dive shop last night.

thanks-

We are not certified.. see the thread headline lol..

fail!
That actually meant failed, basically because neither of us finished. My son actually did 4 full dives but they require 6 at that dive shop. I'm unclear about that as well- because he signed off on all his skills. And I know it is only 4 dives plus the snorkel- most are saying.
I think I can explain that. All agencies have "minimum" standards that must be met for all students but the minimums are set for "easy" conditions, such as in the tropics. If you're diving in more challenging circumstances the instructor has the leeway (and the obligation) to train to local conditions, which may mean adding extra dives.

Of course I can't be 100% sure if that's your case but having the instructor add a couple of extra dives to the course in less than ideal circumstances is something I would ordinarily see as a "positive"

Myself I did two, because that first day after the two dives he wouldn't go back in, and the next day- the water conditions were poor, unfortunately a wave caught me and an instructor we both went under.

So I need to finish more dives but im unsure about him.
I see. So you didn't "fail" as much as you just didn't finish on teh day you had in mind. I can understand given what you wrote on this thread that your confidence in your instructor is shaken. You do have two options now. The first option is that you can ask (and he is required to give it to you) for a "referal" form. That's a form where he writes down everything you did so far. You can take that form to another instructor from the same agency and continue your training from the point where you left off. Naturally the cost will go up a bit because the new instructor isn't going to work for free but if it's a choice between carrying on with someone you don't trust and paying a bit more to get a 2nd instructor check you out and finish the course under more control then you might be better off spending the money.

The other option, of course, is to go to the owner of the shop where you took your course and request/demand a new instructor because you have lost your trust. That's your perrogative and you're there to learn diving, not make friends. It would require burning a bridge but maybe it's one you feel should be burned.

A third option, I guess, is to talk to the instructor and see if you can patch it up. Given what you've said on this thread, though, I don't think you're ready for that yet. :)

I love being under water :) freakn awesome! Cant wait to finish!

thank you btw

This is why you can't just give up. There are good and bad instructors at every shop and working for every agency. You know the old joke, eh? "what do you call the person who finished last in medical school?" .... You'll be able to find somone you click with. Trust your intuition.

R..

I think I can explain that. All agencies have "minimum" standards that must be met for all students but the minimums are set for "easy" conditions, such as in the tropics. If you're diving in more challenging circumstances the instructor has the leeway (and the obligation) to train to local conditions, which may mean adding extra dives.

Of course I can't be 100% sure if that's your case but having the instructor add a couple of extra dives to the course in less than ideal circumstances is something I would ordinarily see as a "positive"

I see. So you didn't "fail" as much as you just didn't finish on teh day you had in mind. I can understand given what you wrote on this thread that your confidence in your instructor is shaken. You do have two options now. The first option is that you can ask (and he is required to give it to you) for a "referal" form. That's a form where he writes down everything you did so far. You can take that form to another instructor from the same agency and continue your training from the point where you left off. Naturally the cost will go up a bit because the new instructor isn't going to work for free but if it's a choice between carrying on with someone you don't trust and paying a bit more to get a 2nd instructor check you out and finish the course under more control then you might be better off spending the money.

The other option, of course, is to go to the owner of the shop where you took your course and request/demand a new instructor because you have lost your trust. That's your perrogative and you're there to learn diving, not make friends. It would require burning a bridge but maybe it's one you feel should be burned.

A third option, I guess, is to talk to the instructor and see if you can patch it up. Given what you've said on this thread, though, I don't think you're ready for that yet. :)

This is why you can't just give up. There are good and bad instructors at every shop and working for every agency. You know the old joke, eh? "what do you call the person who finished last in medical school?" .... You'll be able to find somone you click with. Trust your intuition.

R..

No, ha I'm not going back there- I already told them I wasn't going back. I really had a hard time having a conversation with them, it was just at an escalation phase.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about getting the file where all my information was being written in, or them hand writing information down. I'm not so sure I even want to ask. I will likely use a third party just to avoid conflict.

*I meant fail as the weekend- the certify,

Thank you,

Wow.

So GIORia you've found the joy of SB and the joy of dive shops.

What ever you get from your experience with the shop you first went out with take from it that SCUBA can be stressful. There is a lot of gear and even more when you're in cold water.

Also take from it that a good part of the experience is the dry part. Think about what you may need between dives or setting up. Last year I got a couple of Husky work benches that I can set my rig on. I got a 10x10 pop up canopy. I also bring a folding chair. It makes for a much more relaxing day. Which is the point, right?

Whether the dive shop hauls your crap for you or you haul it yourself, I would always plan to carry my own crap. If they want to carry it, great. Ultimately as a certified diver, you're going to have to haul it yourself.

Something that I may suggest that I couldn't see if it was touched on, was don't get certified with your son. Sounds cruel, I know. In one of your posts, you mention how he got so nervous that he got sick. You two could be feeding off of each other and ramping up each other anxieties. Just food for thought. We've purposely separated couples during checkouts just for this purpose.

Learn from your bad experience. Good luck.

No, ha I'm not going back there- I already told them I wasn't going back. I really had a hard time having a conversation with them, it was just at an escalation phase.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about getting the file where all my information was being written in, or them hand writing information down. I'm not so sure I even want to ask. I will likely use a third party just to avoid conflict.

*I meant fail as the weekend- the certify,

Thank you,

Gloria,

Your best bet is to back off a bit, right now it seems this thread is just keeping you fired up. Regardless of who is right or wrong it is not going to be solved here and as you have found everybody has an opinion and there is no need for you to defend your decision here.

From what you are saying there is no turning back with the shop so at the very least you need to get referrals for yourself and your son I think if you just go into the shop and let sleeping dogs lie just ask for your referrals and move on.

You have been given some great advice and contact information for other shops and independant instructors, obviously you still want to dive so that's what it's all about go and get certified by somebody you feel comfortable with, you could even get a class with just the two of you with some of the instructors you have been put in touch with and right now that may be the best thing you could do. Before long this will be a distant memory and you will be enjoying your dives.

And in the spirit of moving on, do make sure to tell how the rest of the class goes with the new instructor. And buy a gas-guzzling-SUV.

OTOH, if you plan on diving at Monterey after certification, plan on getting your butt kicked frequently. As I said earlier, the place can be inhospitable.

If you look at the number of divers at Breakwater that AREN'T taking classes, maybe it's a hundred on a good day. Maybe more, maybe less. But tens of thousands of divers were certified there; where are they?

If they dive at all, most are probably diving at resorts. Warm clear water, attentive guides, easy conditions, whatever.

I would be willing to bet that 90% of them don't dive at all. Sure, they're still 'certified divers' but it's been years and years since they got wet.

It's not fair to overlook the boat divers because there are a bunch - maybe another hundred or so. But at over $100/day/diver, that's out of the question for the 4 of us.

I would have skipped the Sunday events, no question. I'm an old man and if I get knocked down, I might not get back up. It's embarrassing to crawl in and out of the surf on my hands and knees.

But it's best to go into this thing with the attitude of the Navy SEALS:

"The only easy day was yesterday!"

because this outing isn't likely to be the worst you will ever have.

Richard

Gloria,
Sorry to hear about your experience. You where not certified so the instructor was responsible for you. He should not have left you at the surface without a DM either.

Chalk it up to experience, find a new diveshop, and start with a new instructor.

Diving is great and most instructors good, dont miss out on great experiences because of these "clowns".

I left the dive shop last night.

thanks-

Let me first say that you handled yourself very well given the craziness of peoples responses (no one in particular).

What did the dive shop say when you told them?

Back
Top Bottom