Fail! Weekend Certify-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me first say that you handled yourself very well given the craziness of peoples responses (no one in particular).

What did the dive shop say when you told them?

We were going back in forth a little to much for me. He looked at my cut, we discussed my injuries-

He tried down playing every single thing it really was insulting. I just find no integrity in treating people like that.

After about a hour of the 'going no where conversations' I just said I think it would be best if I just finished this else where. He said Ok.. but, I mentioned it about 15 mins prior to making that comment.. ..he asked if I was coming back, I was explaining that I needed to just let this all settle down. That I was still recovering and I was ready to make that decision. I said it might be better to do something local or sign off when on vacation somewhere. He got a little upset it seemed, he said if i signed off in the lake it would only cover me ever diving in a lake.. And that it's not as easy as I think to transfer blah blah i dont remember. I just ended up saying its for the best, I don't want it to get any worse between us.

And I left.

Im looking forward to diving!!

really--- I just want to figure out what to do and do properly... the best way to get my paperwork..
I'm looking into a 3rd party--

And everyone is right I got some great offers, or references i got to go thru those.

I appreciate everything- good luck to me! lol

I will continue to keep the updates with ya all.. i have other topics to start i think.. bet you all can't wait!!!?? hehheh

Hopefully they won't be buying them from China:shocked2:

hummers are cheap now.... u have to deal with green people nowadays when getting those big ole gas hogs.. consider planet earth! :)

he said if i signed off in the lake it would only cover me ever diving in a lake.. And that it's not as easy as I think to transfer blah blah i dont remember.

That is false information, and he knows it. Lots people get certified in lakes and quarries. Look how many people get certified in Tahoe. Once you are certified you can dive in the ocean or a lake, as you are open water certified.

hummers are cheap now.... u have to deal with green people nowadays when getting those big ole gas hogs.. consider planet earth! :)

Hey I resemble that remark :D My Prius says so too. Even my signature eludes to it.

In my log book I have 5 DiveLog pages and 1 Snorkeling DiveLog page so a total of 6. But we bypassed the first page, the snorkel page, and were doing 6 dives. I kept referring my book to the other students and told them I only had 5 DiveLog pages. They all stated they had 6 DiveLog pages + the Snorkel page.
Now I got mine sent from SSI's online course package thingy. So maybe it has changed a few times and the online course still only requires 5?
From my recollection though a total of 5 dives are all that is required. SO IM TOTALLY Confused.

I did bring this up to them, and they said 'THEY' require the 6 dives. I asked others if that could be possible for them to be able to do a deviation from the SSI schedule of dives, I never really got a answer other than 'they are doing it' pretty much.

Since many of the more experienced divers on SB feel that 4 dives aren't normally enough to turn out competent, independent divers in our area, I'd personally be glad that the shop was adding two extra dives (not that you benefited, but generally). OTOH, since several of these dives were 'fun' dives, you'd really only get one extra to work on skills.

My OW cert pre-dated online course work, and the SSI dive log was divided into Level 1 (dives 1-5), Level 2 (6-12) etc., each Level separated by a divider and having a differently colored border to the pages. It appears that either SSI has changed their format, or else the shop is using their own log pages to match their program.

[More] I've just checked SSI's website, and they do say OW certs require 6 pool/confined water dives, and 4 OW, so the shop must have been using their own stricter criteria for our local conditions.

In any case, good luck to you.

Guy

Guy

Last edited:
Sounds like the Shop you trained out was not a very good one. Which is why it's always a good decsion to visit a few diveshops and speak to each one. as you get more of feel of the shops.

Since many of the more experienced divers on SB feel that 4 dives aren't normally enough to turn out competent, independent divers in our area, I'd personally be glad that the shop was adding two extra dives (not that you benefited, but generally). OTOH, since several of these dives were 'fun' dives, you'd really only get one extra to work on skills.

My OW cert pre-dated online course work, and the SSI dive log was divided into Level 1 (dives 1-5), Level 2 (6-12) etc., each Level separated by a divider and having a differently colored border to the pages. It appears that either SSI has changed their format, or else the shop is using their own log pages to match their program.

[More] I've just checked SSI's website, and they do say OW certs require 6 pool/confined water dives, and 4 OW, so the shop must have been using their own stricter criteria for our local conditions.

In any case, good luck to you.

Guy

Guy

Sounds like I may have the option of asking for SSI to certify my son? He did all his skill dives as far as I know. He did 4 dives. I am going to pull up that information on the website for reference when it is time to make contact and see if his information can be forwarded on to them for his certification.

Thanks for the information.

Sounds like a run-of-the-mill day shore diving in New England!

Nah, I'm kidding. Don't let a bad experience put you off. When I started diving, I noticed a lot of the people were really getting put off by the equipment, weather, logistics, etc. I realized this is just the way it is, so I bucked up and dealt with it. At the beginning, diving is really frustrating. That's just the nature of the beast. Keep on keepin' on. It'll get better! Don't let the little things shake your tree.

That is false information, and he knows it. Lots people get certified in lakes and quarries. Look how many people get certified in Tahoe. Once you are certified you can dive in the ocean or a lake, as you are open water certified.

Hey I resemble that remark :D My Prius says so too. Even my signature eludes to it.

:) how green are u.. like do you actually pack with those edible foamy peanuts? heh.. ocd in your garbage separating out all the different plastics/glass/aluminums?

kewl lol:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom