Failed Open Water Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJHinPDX

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I decided a few months ago to sign up for an Open Water Certification course at a local PADI dive shop. I had been considering this for some years and finally decided if I ever wanted to scuba dive, I should get off the dime and do it.

I took a private class because my work schedule made it impossible to take the regular 5-week class. My instructor was very patient and encouraging and I did quite well in the theory and pool work portion of the course. Then I went to the open water dive weekend at the end of October.

Things did not go well there.

My instructor was not there. He told me I'd do just fine, that I knew the skills and would have no problems. Since there were a number of other instructors and dive masters going on the trip, this seemed entirely reasonable, although I thought at the time that I would be more comfortable working with the instructor I knew. But I didn't want to cause difficulty and it shouldn't have mattered anyway.

I live in the Pacific Northwest. The day of the first dive it was raining heavily. We had to descend to the beach, carrying our gear, over a fairly challenging (for me, at least) "stair" of very slippery rocks. By the time I got all my gear down, which took three trips, I was exhausted, soaked and cold.

I then put on all the gear for the very first time. In the pool, of course, I had worn no wetsuit , hood or gloves. The 7ml farmer jane, gloves and hood were not only uncomfortable, but made it nearly impossible for me to do things I had done easily in the pool. I couldn't even get my fins on. When we all floated on our backs to get use to the water, I couldn't get vertical again. I couldn't get my legs down at all and had to have someone help me up. This produced a great deal of anxiety. Nothing seemed to fit. The unfamiliar gear, the extra weight (lots of extra weight), the rain - I was just overwhelmed. I felt clumsy. I tried to soldier on, but one of the instructors finally called it. I packed up, carried my gear back up the damned rocks and went home.

The shop has been very supportive throughout. I have been offered, and accepted, another two pool sessions which I will complete in January. These will be free of charge. The difficulty is, I have been advised to go someplace warm for my certification dives.

I have some problems with this. First, I've already paid for certification locally and going to another shop will entail paying again for the same thing. This isn't an insurmountable problem, but it does rankle a bit. The private class was not cheap. Second, and most importantly, I live in Oregon. Getting certified to dive in warm water will mean not being able to dive locally. I can't afford to go to a warm water destination with any frequency and I really don't want to be a vacation-only diver. I've been told I should get more experience before trying cold water again, but how am I going to get experience if I have to travel long distances to dive?

Any thoughts? Does this just happen sometimes? Is the shop being reasonable? Should I just suck it up, complete the extra pool sessions and head for warm water? Any suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I suggest practicing in the pool with the gear that you will be wearing when you do the OW Dive. If you cant master that, then you shouldn't be OW Cert until you can. Who in there right mind would suggest "Get certified where it's warm",:shakehead: Like it's an easy way to get your certification....when they know your choices for weekend diving involves COLD water.

You needed to call the dive before you got there... Doing your " FIRST " OW dive should be a low key kind of dive... I'd like to know how you knew how much weight you'd need ? You should have been diving in the pool with full gear that your going to dive in...

" By the time I got all my gear down, which took three trips, I was exhausted, soaked and cold." That statement screams " DON"T GO :no:

Listen to that little voice that tells you 'STOP' it'll save your life.... You don't need to go some were warm to get your C card... You need to learn to dive were your going to dive...
:wink: Good luck and safe diving....

Jim

I agree with the above -practice in the pool with the equipment your going to be using on your OW dives. Once you have done this I think you will be fine!

I think the shop is being reasonable - by giving you some extra free pool sessions it shows they have your interests in mind, many would fob you off with excuses and negative thoughts to get you out of their 'hair'.

Good luck for January!

I agree with Scubaddawg. I would have struggled with my OW dives if that was the first time I'd had a 7mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, etc. on. I used all that gear for all my pool sessions. I'd imagine you'll be alright if you have some time to practice with in the pool. And a bit better luck with the weather would probably help too.

Take advantage of the free pool sessions and practice the things you had problems with in the full gear you will be using in open water. It will probably be very warm in a 7mm in the pool, so try to maximize your time.

Some parts of scuba diving are not fun. Carrying gear when the water is not close to the parking lot, difficult shore entries, surface swims, crowded boats, etc. but we deal with these issues to get to the fun parts. I think the main thing is to maintain a positive attitude and get through it.

I suggest practicing in the pool with the gear that you will be wearing when you do the OW Dive. If you cant master that, then you shouldn't be OW Cert until you can. Who in there right mind would suggest "Get certified where it's warm",:shakehead: Like it's an easy way to get your certification....when they know your choices for weekend diving involves COLD water.

After the attempted OW dive, I asked about pool practice with full gear and did not get a positive response. Now that I've had two people recommend it, I'll insist. Thanks!

6 people....:wink: But who's counting...

Beyond the pool with your gear on (as suggested).... I do a lot of shore diving. Tons of it, in fact, and I've never worn anything less than a full 7mm wetsuit and hood etc. One thing I started doing was assembling my gear at my car so I can put it on and walk straight to the water. I realized very quickly that hauling everything close to the water and then assembling it was a recipe for back strain and stress. I also find I'm ready faster than others too. Plus when I'm done my dive, I walked back to the car, drop off tank #1 and switch it for tank #2.
Just an idea of something else you can do to minimize the stress :) it also means I generally only have to make one trip between my vehicle and the shore!

Oh! If you own your own fins switch the straps for springs. I still can't figure out the stupid clips on the straps that came with my fins. I always needed help until I switched them out. Best $20 (or whatever) I have spent on gear so far.

Back
Top Bottom