Failed + Rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mossym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
HI All
I'm looking at buying an LP95 from someone, he told me that it failed the + rating on it's last hydro, so it can't be filled to the full 95. DOes this mean if i get the tank it'll on be an 86 becuase it can only be filled to 2400? Or is there a way to get the + rating back?

...unfortunately, you're right, mossym, as a LP 95 is 95 cu. ft. of gas @ 2640 psi and there's no way to 'recover' the "+" rating if the tank failed that part of the hydro...that is probably why the tank is 'on sale'.

Karl

I'd be more concerned about the reason why it failed the + rating. It could mean a long history of overfills well over 10% in which case I'd pass on the tank entirely.

There's no marking or condemnation procedure specified in the FARs for branding a tank that passes the regular test but fails the + - it just doesn't get the +. So there's no reason you couldn't try for the plus again next hydro. My feeling is that a lot of tanks fail the + test because the shop doesn't know what it is doing, not because of any defect in the tank.

I would look into the tanks history, though, as others have suggested. If it seems OK (previous owner did not live in FL or own a compressor!). it's probably worth taking a chance on if you can get it at a good price.

However, just having the plus doesn't guarantee getting more air - a lot of shops seem to put the same amount of air in them regardless.

oxyhacker:
There's no marking or condemnation procedure specified in the FARs for branding a tank that passes the regular test but fails the + - it just doesn't get the +. So there's no reason you couldn't try for the plus again next hydro. My feeling is that a lot of tanks fail the + test because the shop doesn't know what it is doing, not because of any defect in the tank.

I would look into the tanks history, though, as others have suggested. If it seems OK (previous owner did not live in FL or own a compressor!). it's probably worth taking a chance on if you can get it at a good price.

However, just having the plus doesn't guarantee getting more air - a lot of shops seem to put the same amount of air in them regardless.
I have to ask "why florida" I know one store down there that does strange things to clynders or is it the cave dive overfill thing ?

Overfilling tanks for cave dives is common practice in FL.

scubadoguk:
I have to ask "why florida" I know one store down there that does strange things to clynders or is it the cave dive overfill thing ?

We do tend to overfill them just a little down here.

HarleyDiver:
We do tend to overfill them just a little down here.
yep but then as oxy said the not knowing what there doing may be a issue too, I mean that in a very nice way just in case :eyebrow:

Yah, it may indeed pass another + test, as reported many hydro joints don't bother unless requested, or they don't have the proper "numbers" to plug into the calculations needed.
To oversimplify the + rating, think of the tank contracting back to it's original volume after stretching during the hydro. (more or less). sorta. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom