failure rate of Scuba equipment and BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best way to avoid BCD problems is not to use one.

Using a BCD does have some advantages. Diving with one but configured so you don't have to use it allows you to reap the benefits and minimizes issues from gear failures.

And if you plan your dive right you don't need an SPG, and if you don't dive at all you don't have to worry about it.

The best way to avoid BCD problems is not to use one.

Around 600 dives. I've seen 4 bc failures (all due to poor maintenance). I've had a couple of o ring failures above water. Had a spg start leaking (a lot) after my 2nd dive. Dive shop replaced it with no questions.

Thanks for your inputs guys, so far it look like a 10:1 ratio between, BCD and the SCUBA equipment ( hoses and regulators ).

The reason I asked this question, that in the different interventions about bad events that can happen while diving is that they mention more the Free flowing of the regulator event and less the BCD problem, with this thread so far it shows all the contrary.

Whem I rented equipment I noticed once that the inflator bottom was not moving freely and you can feel the sand in between the push bottom and the housing where it slide, I didn't even bothered to put it on the tank and requested another BCD and told the owners the problem I noticed.

Sand seems to be the most common problem with BCD's right ?

A little of topic here
I'm showly buying my dive gear, only remaining items are, the BCD, pony thank with regulator, knife and torch, I got me a set of new Aqua-Lung, Titan LX and Octo regulator, but they still packed in my duffle bag here in Afghanistan once I return home ( hopefuly alive ) I will test them, I was honestly expecting something more rugged but the TiTan seems a little cheepo quality build, but more likely I'm under the wrong impression, I choose Aqua-Lung because they had been around for years since the beggining and heard good comments of their products, I did buy the Titan because I dive in the caribbean and not in cold waters, will this regulator be good for future tec diving ?, I know they are not good for the high %O2 decompresion tanks, but will they work properly at more depth and trimex ??, or this is just a recreational level regulator ?

Thanks for you comments, keep posting your equipment failures
Remy, stay positive, and know that we are praying for you and everyone serving in Afghanistan to return safely. We really appreciate your service! This is coming from a Vietnam Vet who likewise continued diving after the service.

Diving is a wonderful activity, and your Aqualung Titan regulator should serve you well for years. If you can get a good buy on a reputable dive computer, I'd add that to the list as they are really nice to document your dive, as well as keep you safe during the dive. I use a Suunto Cobra, but it's several years old now and there may be newer, better ones out there.

Concerning BC malfunctions, when I was at the Warm Mineral Springs Underwater Archaeological Research Project in 1975 (Florida), we saw several ones occur because small-diameter lines got wrapped around the exhaust valve of the BC (we were using vest-style ones then) and pulled the valve apart. But I don't know whether you'd call that a malfunction or a destruction by line. :wink:

SeaRat

Last edited:
I did buy the Titan because I dive in the caribbean and not in cold waters, will this regulator be good for future tec diving ?, I know they are not good for the high %O2 decompresion tanks, but will they work properly at more depth and trimex ??, or this is just a recreational level regulator ?

Thanks for you comments, keep posting your equipment failures

The Titan's a decent recreational reg. I have seen a pair used for twin-tank diving, but they looked a mess - it's impossible to configure your hoses sensibly and they stick out all over the place.

This questions are for the 500+ dives experts

In your own dive experience, how many times did you had failure of your Scuba or BCD.

How many dives did you had with that equipment that failed.

For the BCD failures can you mention if it was the filling valve stick open, or loss of air

Thanks for your time.
Failures or "incidents"?

I have never had a "failure" underwater (approx 800 vacation dives) but did manage to wear out a BCD to the point that it developed a series of "micro bubble" holes in the shoulders (around 700 dives). I dove it the rest of the trip and bought a new one afterwards.

My divebuddy has had 2 "incidents" underwater. One was inconvenient, the other was a failure.

First was a LP inflator that slowly filled her BCD. Once she figured it out, I unplugged it mid dive and we continued the dive. I disassembled and cleaned the inflator after the dive. No issues since.

Her second mishap was more exciting. She experienced a split in her primary second stage hose. In the fitting under the metal sleeve right at the second stage. Undetectable by visual inspection. Lots o bubbles. We monitored gas consumption. Not much. No panic required. We ascended and slowly swam back to the boat at 15 fsw. The repair tech asked to confirm why we wanted a hose swap after the dive as they could not visually see any problem. This was a 25 year old hose.

I think the bottom line is that scuba equipment is actually very simple and highly reliable, as long as you take care of it. Most failures are really incidents.

P.S. don't get too excited about reports of regulator freeflows. point your octo upwards, giant stride, freeflow! They are designed to work that way.

Commonest failures I've seen/experienced:

BCD inflator sticking open
High pressure hose O-ring extrusion/rupture
Yoke valve O-ring extrusion/rupture

I've had the welded seam of an OMS donut single wing fail, but as this was on the surface on a pre dive check, it was simple to swap out the wing for another single wing, and order a new OMS bladder.

this wing was 10 years old or so.

500 dives minus 20.

Schrader valve corrosion to the point of persistent air leakage into the BCD. After about 430 dives.

Failure of the HP hose to my gauges such that there was air leakage from the over-pressure holes. After about 450 dives.

Performance Impacting Failures:
I had a wing (rental) not hold air. Discovered it while doing my S-Drill (pre-dive safety check). Someone had failed to place the washer back in the elbow / wing coupling after servicing. :)
My dive buddy had the corrugated hose on his Hollis SMS 100 pull apart during a cave dive. Most of us dive dry here in the Midwest though - so he had backup buoyancy control.
I had a Mares Prestige BCD (new) - whose integrated weights would occasionally release unexpectedly. Got rid of that unit.

Irritations:
I've also seen lots of shop rental gear disintegrate (releases, straps, velcro, etc.) over time due to the use in pools. But that is to be expected.

Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom