Failure to turn the dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slimshady

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So, recently my team made an almost fatal error when we failed to turn the dive before getting into a silt out and lost diver situation. The team consisted of three divers. Two CCR and one OC. All of us full cave, trimix, dpv, etc. CCR with over 300 hours each on our units, OC diver on sidemount 130's. Not very familiar with the cave we were diving, we asked a nearby "local" diver for advice and he provided what seemed like clear directions. We followed the plan and scootered to the dropoff point then swam upstream where we enter the offshoot which headed downstream. Our initial plan was to exit upstream of our scooters and drift down to pick them up. Maybe 400 feet into this side tunnel I came to a restriction and had difficuly getting thru with my backmount CCR and two sidemounted 80's. This is where I should have turned the dive, and this is where either of my teammates should have questioned my sanity and mental state. Not knowing what was after the restriction, not expecting it to be that tight, not being briefed from the "local" that the passage further on does not widen, but instead narrows to sidemount only, or at least backmount without stages, all of this did not enter my mind and apparently none of my teammates either. So we continued on. Two hundred feet further I had to squeeze into the silt to get thru a passage and was sure my buddies could not see my light or fins. Now I discoverd I was at the end of this line BUT there ahead of me is a line with a line arrow. I tied a spool on and made the jump. Continuing on I came to the end of this line as well, but could see the gold line a short distance away. Looking back I saw two lights and thinking my team was right behind me I swam to the gold line and waited. ONLY one teammate emerged. What I thought were two divers was one with a helmet light and hand mount. The sidemount diver was low on gas so I pointed him to the exit indicatng I was going to do a lost dive search since I had three hours of scubber left. Never have I been more glad to have a CCR and know that the diver I'm looking for has one as well. I tied my line into the gold line and started back into tight, low, zero vis cave. After searching for a short time I heard a clanking and answered with my own. A little further I came to a slightly larger area and found his fin in the dim light. I tugged it and he came around to face me. I put him on my line and he exited with me following. We got to the gold line, swam up to our scooters, and exited the water after 30 minutes of deco.

In retrospect, I should have turned the dive at that restriction and not let the other divers come thru. Also, any one of them should have turned it since anyone can turn the dive, for any reason, at any time.

AND I should not have assumed that the two lights meant two divers. Should have run another jump reel and tied into the gold line until we were all out.

Sounds like the root cause was entering a cave based on a combination of wrong and incomplete information, while thinking you knew everything you needed to know. Glad you made it out OK.

You live and you learn.....You learn and you live. Thanks for sharing and very glad y'all came out in good shape with a good story to tell.

Sometimes it is good to be periodically reminded why I am not a cave diver. I'm inoculated now for another 3 years with respect to the possibility of engaging in that sort of activity. Thanks, glad you can tell the story.

That stuff is crazy scary to me.

Sounds like the root cause was entering a cave based on a combination of wrong and incomplete information, while thinking you knew everything you needed to know. ...
Hmmm. Evidently, the divers were each experienced ("... All of us full cave, trimix, dpv, etc. CCR with over 300 hours each on our units ..."), which I think means they can dive whatever cave they want to--even unfamiliar cave, even virgin cave, if they want.

My Basic Cave cert (NACD/NSS-CDS, 1988) specified limitations (e.g., depth limits, water temp limits, stay on the gold line, no jumps, no circuits, etc.). However, we were told that there would be no limitations once we became Full Cave certified. Even exploration would be possible. So, no need to know anything a priori about a particular cave before entering, once you're Full Cave certified.

rx7diver

Not very familiar with the cave we were diving, we asked a nearby "local" diver for advice and he provided what seemed like clear directions. We followed the plan

and found his fin in the dim light. I tugged it and he came around to face me. I put him on my line and he exited with me following. We got to the gold line, swam up to our scooters, and exited the water after 30 minutes of deco.
that sounds ugly- just to clarify

did you actually do the route the local described ? was the tight section part of the route ? if yes was the tightness of the section the part that was unexpected?- but it was the correct way?

Your number 3 buddy -did he lose the line? what happened to him to not appear?

are you the more experienced of the group ? do you usually lead the way ?

that sounds ugly- just to clarify

did you actually do the route the local described ? was the tight section part of the route ? if yes was the tightness of the section the part that was unexpected?- but it was the correct way?
We thought we did the route as described. It was not described as tight.
Your number 3 buddy -did he lose the line? what happened to him to not appear?
Silt out caused him to stop and since I had not put in a line to the gold line he was in the process of tying into the line when I found him.
are you the more experienced of the group ? do you usually lead the way ?
We all have similar levels of experience. I do usually lead. Haha...either from the front or other positions. I try to be aware of the situation. This time I think I was too mission oriented and just should have turned it when it got too restricted. At no time was I concerned or paniced. We all have had enough times in these situations to think our way thru. With CCR I could have stayed another 3-4 hours waiting until clear water and/or searching for missing diver and he would have been searching as well. I hope others will think about what decisions it takes to turn a dive and be safer because of our mistakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom