Fairly New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No certification makes you an advanced diver, though- diving experience does.

I have met many certified, but not qualified, divers. I'm not even certain that dive count is a good measure of a person's advanced-ness. Doing the same dive over and over again, with the same habits and skills does not make a better diver.

Measuring a person's skill is not a simple formula. Some are better at some skills/knowledge while others are better at other things. Some people have transferable skills from other occupations/interests. Others learn faster or through different methods.

I like to say that experience provide people with the opportunity to learn. Some catch on while others may never. And experience do not always have to be hands on.

I have met many certified, but not qualified, divers. I'm not even certain that dive count is a good measure of a person's advanced-ness. Doing the same dive over and over again, with the same habits and skills does not make a better diver.

Who said anything about doing the same dive over and over :idk: ? The OP is in the Pensacola, FL area which offers hundreds, if not thousands, of dive sites within a 50 mile range. I'm certainly not denouncing continuing education. I did, however, imply that I learned more through experience than through my Advanced Open Water course. After all, that's what was being requested- not certifications in general...

Get yout AOW because some dive operators require you to have it for some of thre dives. The second reason to do AOW is it's a stepping stone for rescue which in my opinion every diver should have.

I'll echo what a many have already said. AOW can be valuable (with a good instructor) but is best viewed as OW version 1.2 :wink:

If you put it off until you've got 50-100 or so dives under your belt, you'll probably feel like it was a waste. I do think it is geared for the fresh-out-of-OW diver. It is a stepping stone for further training.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom