Fairly new to diving, what camera should I take underwater??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi!

I'm a fairly new diver with about 50 logged dives. I have a Canon Rebel T3i with a 50mm macro lens and would like your opinion!

Is it better to buy the underwater housing for the Rebel now or to wait and get practice with a cheaper point and shoot (like the canon s100 which I would need to purchase). Underwater equipment is expensive, so I don't know whether to bite the bullet and pay the 2 grand to put the Rebel underwater or to just make do with a cheaper camera at around 800 dollars.

I am going on a Galapagos liveaboard in February and will need to purchase the camera equipment before then to take pictures!
The only thing I've used in the water before was a GOPro, and I was not a fan.

Thanks!

To house a DSLR you are going to spend more than 2k. It's a big investment for a new diver. Your 50mm lens will not do you much good in the Galapagos when trying to take pictures of massive schools of hammerheads or if you are lucky a whale shark. So you will end up having to buy another lens and the port that goes with. In addition a DSLR raises the level of complication of your diving and in Galapagos the diving can be pretty challenging. This still applies to a point and shoot but at least it is not as bulky.

Here is a decent package that you could get started with: System Packages :: Compact Systems :: Optical Ocean Ikelite/Sea & Sea Canon s100 Value Package -

For an idea of what you can see we have a gallery and Multimedia show from our trip at Aquablue Dreams it is a great location and you will have a great time!

I am a hugh fan of Canon products and have been for most of my life. I purchased my first Canon in 1985 and have never regreted it. I too use the Canon Point and Shoot underwater set up; it is an older S90 and I love it. There are many good articles and SB posts about the Canon S110, S100, and S95. And they are relatively inexpensive to outfit compared to a DSLR camera. Here is one such article Best Underwater Cameras 2012, compact options | Bluewater Photo & Video

But for just the easy of operating an underwater camera I would also recommend that you look at the SeaLife 1400 (Cameras | Sealife Cameras). You can get it with a strobe or video light or both for under $1000. I had the last SeaLife model, the D1200, and OMG...it was so much fun and easy to use and adjust settings underwater. Unforetunately in rough seas I lost it and now need to either replace it with a D1400 or an S110.

If you are very experienced with manual settings on a camera, then by all means go with the Canon S110 or S100. If, however, you are just learning or do not have enough time to practice with the Canon before your Galapagos trip, I recommend the SeaLife.

From my experiences, the SeaLife is a fantastic entry level UW camera. The S110, S100 or S95s are superior intermediate level UW cameras where you start to learn about RAW data format, manual settings like white balance or apature settings. And the DSLR cameras are just awesome, but on the advance photographer's level.

I know it is not an easy decision to put down $1000+ and "hope" it is what you want.

Good luck with what ever you decide to go with...

Happy Bubbles,

~Oldbear~

For a relatively new diver in Galapagos currents, you will want something simple you can quickly clip off to your vest in case things start to get out of hand. No DSLR, no strobes. The S100 is a good choice.

Have a good trip. Dive safe.

If I was going to the Galapagos, I'd be taking the Canon T3i for sure. I wouldn't the focus lag of a compact messing up my sea lion or shark photos :) And the T3i can also take some great video. You would need to get a different lens though. Good luck with your decision! - Scott

As others have suggested the Canon S series cameras are a great choice for starting out in underwater photography. I have got some great results from my S95.

You can't beat the quality of shots you would get from a DSLR though. However the downside is weight and bulk when travelling, and the huge financial loss if you flood it.

As a compromise between basic point and shoot and DSLR have a look at the Olympus interchangeable lens cameras. The EPL5 is compact and very capable, or if your budget extends further look at the OMD.

One other suggestion. With whatever you decide to use put the camera in the housing and shoot a bunch of pictures around the house and neighborhood, day and night. Get totally familiar with it and how to make adjustments with it in the housing. Then borrow a dive shops pool and practice in it.If I had a way to shout out how important it is to do this I would do it. Trust me on this one.

It really depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want snap shots, the S100 is more than enough. It is also pretty lightweight. If you go that route, you may consider getting a housing that will allow you to use a wide angle lens and macro lens with the camera. There are various options out there. I am not familiar with them for this camera. I know, the wide angle on the S100 would seem sufficient but it probably isn't. Long range underwater is 5'. The closer you get to your subject the better. It is nice to have a pretty wide angle option available for taking photos of divers, landscapes and tolerant large marine life. The macro capability is good too. There are usually some pretty interesting small creatures around and they are fun to take photos of. A strobe is almost as important as the camera. I would strongly suggest getting one.

If you go the DSLR route, you are going to have a pile of equipment: camera, housing, ports, lenses, strobes, and focus lights. You are talking serious $$$$. A good housing will cost about $3,000 and you are just getting started. The lenses you would need would be a good wide angle zoom and a macro lens and that is just to start with.

So why the DSLR instead of a point and shoot? First off, your focusing is fast. Secondly, your focusing is precise. With my point and shoot, I could focus on the outline of the subject. With my DSLR, I can focus on a specific point like the eyeball. I was never able to successfully get shots of damselfish with a point and shoot (or very rarely). Damselfish are all over the place but they are small and fast and don't sit still for more than a few seconds. I can get photos of damselfish pretty routinely with a DSLR.

I notice that you are in Orlando. Reef Photo down in Fort Lauderdale is one of the best retailers specializing in underwater photography in the USA. If you are interested in this, I would strongly suggest that you go down to Reef Photo. They have quite a bit of equipment in stock. You can hold the stuff in your hands and get a better idea of what you are dealing with. Also the people there are very knowledgeable and can give you informed guidance.

The single most important skill to have is very good buoyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom