Famous Quotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sebastian

Contributor
Reaction score
After searching the forum I noticed that there has never been a thread on famous quotes related to diving, ocean, underwater, etc

I'll start of:

Yes, I love it. The sea is everything. It covers seven-tenths of the terrestrial globe.
Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert where man is never alone for he feels life, quivering around him on every side. There is supreme tranquility. The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there.
But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence.
There I recognise no masters! There I am free.

Jules Verne. 2000 Leagues Under The Sea.

Sometimes we are lucky enough to know that our lives have been changed, to discard the old, embrace the new and run headlong down an immutable course. It happened to me on that summer’s day, when my eyes were opened by the sea."

- Jacques-Yves Cousteau.

Buoyed by water, he can fly in any direction - up, down, sideways - by merely flipping his hand. Under water, man becomes an archangel.

- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

May this continent, the last explored by humankind, be the first one to be spared by humankind.

- Jacques-Yves Cousteau, 1973, on Antartica

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.

- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

If you got some other quotes post them in here.

"Live and learn or dont live long" --old chinese wise man

"Life is hard its alot harder when your stupid" -- my dad

Cousteau to his friend, Emile Gagnon, upon Gagnon's invention of the scuba regulator:

"This is brilliant! It will change the world! I'll be rich!
Goobye Emile."

Jacques Yves Cousteau

always says these two things, on a daily basis. I've been his graduate student for 6 years, so they've become ingrained in my brain:

#1 "God takes care of idiots."

I am still not sure if he directs it at me, or at our entire lab. LOL Maybe there's a bit of truth in that statement. I haven't killed myself off yet...

#2 "Don't make homeless moles."

That one, for sure, is always aimed at me. I am a worry-wart. LOL I needed it explained to me the first time I heard it. It's his angle on the "Don't make mountains out of molehills" quote, because then the poor moles will no longer have a place to live.

He's a bit strange. :)

I apply them to diving by trying to not be paranoid about everything, and hoping that I come back alive. LOL

I don't know how to activate other scripts, so sorry about the cedille, but,

"Il faut aller voir."

Cousteau again.

"It is necessary to go and see."

"I'd like to be....under the sea....in an octopus' garden in a cave..." -- Ringo Starr

:)

" Nobody can hear you scream at 200 feet "

--quoted by one of my dive instructors some where along the line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom