Fantasy Island 28 Oct - 4 Nov

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I'll be leaving FI on the 28th so we will just miss each other! Bummer!

Well you will be there with lots of folks we know (but they are not on SB)

It should be a fabulous time.

Dive Safe!!!

Cheers

From the last two replies I am a little concerned. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the quantity of biting insects in Cozumel versus Rotan? We had no problems in Coz last June with our then 9 month old.

Should I infer that no matter what insect repellant is used that my daughter might be exposed to Malaria?

Unfortunately we don't have the liberty of having family members care for our daughter while we dive. Plus we genuinely enjoy her company and want her to experience difference cultures as early as possible.

I will definitely confer with her pediatrician before we make any non refundable bookings.

Thanks for the advice.

I was wondering the same thing about insects. Been to the Philippines last year where you had to put on insect repellant everyday or you could get Dengue fever, but it seems like Roatan is more dangerous.

Don't bother asking the pediatrician as they will always tell you that it is very dangerous...well, at least our does.

By the way, I have friends in Asia who refuse to come to visit me since 9/11 as they are worried that someone might bomb San Francisco!

Ok..In a word YES..your daughter may be exposed to Malaria. According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) website Roatan/Honduras is a Malaria Endemic area. They suggest taking preventive medication which my husband and I have always done, both times we went there. I am a nurse in an ER and have seen patients come in with Malaria and it is not pretty. I suggest you reasearch this and talk to your Pediatrican before you make any decsions.

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm

Good luck...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom